PDA

View Full Version : Was I wrong? Please help.

Miamipuck
11-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Here is the situation:

I get A-K in CO, blinds are 15-30. Two EP limpers, one Extremely LAG the other tight from what I saw on approx. 15 hands. It is folded to me. I raise standard 4xBB (125). EP lag raises to 250, T EP folds............ This is how I played it for better or worse:

I had the EP raiser covered by 200 chips or so. I have seen two of his Showdown hands and they are horrible (by any standard). I pushed.......
I re-raised him all in. To my horror he turns over a K-4 offsuit. I swear I am not kidding.

This was the board BTW........

Qh-10d-9s-Qd-4s. Yup you guessed it a 4 flopped on the river. I had to go clean my underwear, you can guess why.

Anyway I have been a fairly successful SNG and MTT player over the last 6 months. Any suggestions and comments would be welcome. Thank you in advance for any replies and or flame jobs..................... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wjmooner
11-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Don't post bad beat stories disguised as questions on how to play a hand. This is silly. You thought he was a LAG and got it all in as a 2 to 1 favorite. What were you expecting him to turn over if he was a bad player instead of K4? K9? JT? It doesn't really matter, does it.

WJ

Miamipuck
11-04-2004, 05:36 PM
hey thanks the angry reply. I WILL NOT POST BAD BEAT STORIES ANYMORE............. As you can see this is my 3rd post.

rjb03
11-04-2004, 08:08 PM
He turned over K4 to your horror? It should have been turned over to your delight.

lorinda
11-04-2004, 09:56 PM
For what it's worth, a limp then mini-reraise often reeks of a trap, I tend to just call and see if I like the flop.

If it comes 765 or something I may bail, but I'll still go in if it's QTx or something that may scare my opponent.

HOWEVER, your read was clearly correct and although you can't cash it out, you can note that you 'won' this because you got the guy all-in in a scenario where you had him utterly dominated.

We all need a little reassurance sometimes, looks like you did okay to me.

Lori

Miamipuck
11-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Two things:

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. It really was not meant to be a bad beat story. I just wanted feedback as far as pushing it all in during level 1. I see it so much, I very rarely do it myself. I adhere to the tight is right philosophy during the first few levels. I of course mix it up as cheap as possible.

Number 2:

I was horrified because whenever I see a whacky hand like that, it inevitably turns into a bad beat. At least on party poker it seems to happen in waves. Also because why would anyone play that hand like that. It did not make much sense to me.

captZEEbo1
11-05-2004, 01:21 AM
just a minor correction, AKo to K4o is a little more than a 3:1 favorite, no?

That's just about as good as you can hope for. Your statement is about the equivalent of saying, I went allin with AA, and to my horror, he turned over 76s. Almost the exact same odds.

By the way, this kind of play is good for your hourly rate, but bad for your ROI. I don't mind going allin with AK in the early stages of sngs for this reason. You probably couldn't have done anything different in this hand. If you just called, then allined the flop, I'm pretty sure he's still calling you here (he has the gutshot straight draw after all...).

unfrgvn
11-05-2004, 11:49 AM
You think thats a bad beat? Here's a bad beat.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

MP1 (t1280)
Hero (t745)
MP3 (t940)
CO (t665)
Button (t525)
SB (t805)
BB (t340)
UTG (t965)
UTG+1 (t790)
UTG+2 (t945)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t75, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t60.

Flop: (t250) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, Button calls t100, UTG folds.

Turn: (t450) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t350</font>, Button calls t350 (All-In).

River: (t1150) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1150

Results:
Hero has Qd Ad (two pair, aces and queens).
Button has Qs Qh (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Button wins t1150.

One outer with one to come. Ouch.

PhilTheThrill14
11-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Not really a bad beat at all. He was ahead pre-flop, after the flop, and then after the river.

unfrgvn
11-05-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not really a bad beat at all. He was ahead pre-flop, after the flop, and then after the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to argue this, I only posted it because it's the only one outer that I can recall someone hitting against me. When the majority of the money went in I was ahead and he only had one out. He hit it, that's poker. I classify it as a bad beat.