PDA

View Full Version : Might have been a bad call w/AJ suited - Stars $10 rebuy

WinBig
11-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Stars $10 rebuy with 45 players left and blinds at 2000/4000. I have 82000 which is about average when it is folded to me in middle position where I raise to 12000 with AJ suited. The guy next to me barely has me covered and pushes all-in. I call and whiff on the board and lose to his pocket KK.

I can kind of rationalize this call since he could be reraising with a medium pocket pair but thinking about it more it would be more likely for him to have AK/AQ or QQ/JJ. Would anyone play AA or KK the way he did? He would pick up a nice pot if I fold.

I misread the fact that he could have a huge hand partly because he was new to the table (a mistake on my part) and I had not been able to see any of his hands. I had been stealing regularly from all positions at this table and it may have been a mistake to call since I could have easily stolen a few blinds and made up for the fold.

I had been hitting my flops though and I decided in this instance that it was worth the risk to double up and be top 15 in chip count and have a great shot at the final table. Would anyone else make this call?

steeser
11-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Nope, I fold. I think you are too easily dominated. At best you are slightly behind, and at worst you are way behind. AK I probably call, AQ I would muck unless I had a real good read on the player.

DONTUSETHIS
11-04-2004, 03:42 PM
With no read on the player I dont think this is a tough decision at all. On the way he played his KK, I like it for because he is way out in front of all possible hand combinations that you could hold and you could be raising on a steal with nothing or have a he is dominating and by making this overbet could kinda sucker you into calling becuase you could not figure he had such a hand or you had totaly nothing and fold. That means he either gets whats in the pot or all your chips. Not good to do this all the time but I do it sometimes. Would you have called his reriase if it would have been to 40000 instead of all in? So if he has a better chance of getting you to call all his money then why not make that bet.

Tosh
11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
You have tricky decisions in poker all the time. Folding there was not even close to being one of them.

gergery
11-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Easy fold for me.

You’re getting 1.4:1 on a call, but you’re a 1.3 to 1 dog to lower pairs so that’s roughly EV neutral. So, how likely is it that he has AA-JJ,AK/AQ vs. him having KQ, AT-A2, etc. I gotta figure its much more likely he has a stronger hand. Especially since a normal size raise is roughly half his stack, and he’s still giving you 1.4 on the push – so I don’t read his push as any giveaway on his cards.

--Greg