PDA

View Full Version : top set: protect hand or build pot

Paul2432
11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
This hand occurred in the Party Poker 10/20 6-max

UTG limps, I raise with QQ, CO 3-bets, button folds, BB calls, UTG folds, I call. Should I cap here?

Flop comes Q84r. The board seems fairly uncoordinated so I try to build the pot by check-raising the CO which I do successfully.

The turn is a 2. I bet, everyone calls.

The river is a 7. I bet, CO calls BB raises, I call and CO folds. BB shows 65h for the straight. Pre-flop his play was bad, but after that he had pot-odds at every decision.

Looking back should I have bet the flop, hoping the CO raises driving out the rest of the field?

Paul

Grisgra
11-04-2004, 03:09 PM
If the BB is calling two bets in the BB with 65h, then pontificating about how to deny him odds to draw to his inside-straight is not going to do you much good. He's obviously not really good at the whole "odds" thing.

The pot is big. He'll be sticking around.

I Play 2 Ski
11-04-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd bet the flop and hope to be able to 3 bet. I agree with Grisga's comments on BB's ability to calculate pot odds

Benjamin
11-04-2004, 04:02 PM
I'd cap preflop and lead out on the flop hoping to 3-bet.

B.

Scotch78
11-05-2004, 04:02 AM
I cap pre-flop for two reasons. One, you absolutely want to charge hands like AK the max while you're ahead. Two, it will make your lay-down easier if the villain drags your war into later streets.

Scott