PDA

View Full Version : No Limit Omaha 8

12-19-2001, 01:54 AM
There is a no-limit Omaha 8 game at pokerstars. I have been watching it and most players are abysmal. They call incredibly large bets trying to escape for one side or the other, and sometimes do this in multiway pots with (58 lows adn 2 pair for example). Needless to say the game looks easy.

However, I'm at a bit of a loss for preflop strategy. What hands are really worth pumping? Is there anything you'd move allin preflop with? I don't think even AA23ss has enough overlay to move in with. How much should i be willing to call in terms of stack size against a preflop raiser?

Also, on the flop what would you need to go allin/make large raises? Nut low made, with nut flush draw perhaps? Nut low, and a set? Top set with one or no low cards out?

Personally i think i'd need a huge hand for high (top full?) to go allin, when there are strong low possibilities, and i don't have a low. But obviously there are times i should try and bet low draws out, but it seems as if this will be unsuccesful based on the calibre of play. I have seen a player call a 8 times pot size allin bet with A56T (no clubs) on a Tc8c4c board. He ended up looking at A23 with suited Ac much to my total lack of surprise.

12-19-2001, 03:10 PM
as I have said before, I do not like split pot games for real $$$ and the higher the stakes, the less I like them. BUT I do enjoy omaha 8, an therefore have played...mostly limit and some pot limit

it's enjoyable to play for the funny money on

stars, and have played the game you mentioned many times. Yes, there are usually some very poor players there. Sometimes I even drop out when they get too crazy because I like to be more realistic.

not much for raising preflop, but if I do then I like the high side which is seldom split...I want A plus two big cards, suited at least once AND a very low card to go with my A for a low.

allmost never like to be all-in early because would want to be able to make shutout bet later..at proper time.

12-19-2001, 04:05 PM
I've never played online, and I'm assuming that's what pokerstars is. But...

<BLOCKQUOTE>However, I'm at a bit of a loss for preflop strategy. What hands are really worth pumping? Is there anything you'd move allin preflop with?</BLOCKQUOTE>

In NL, I want to see the flop as cheply as possible. I might make or encourage small raises to build the pot. This later induces bluffs and encourages callers who would bail out of a smaller pot.

With some money in front of me, to get it all in preflop I want to be sure that I will isolate a weak player. I will, however, make a modest move to steal preflop. For some reason, these moves work better UTG in NL O8 than they do in late position, at least in the games I play.

<BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think even AA23ss has enough overlay to move in with.</BLOCKQUOTE>

If I was short stacked, I wouldn't hesitate to go in with this preflop, and wouldn't mind the whole table coming along with me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>How much should i be willing to call in terms of stack size against a preflop raiser?</BLOCKQUOTE>

This depends on so many things. I like to have the aggressor on my left in a drawing game like O8 because I can count the callers before it gets to me and know what the odds are. Does this make sense? I can count the callers, count how much I have left, count how much everyone else has left, figure how many call if I hit, and then know what to do. With the aggressor on your right, you still have to have the same information, but you must guess at it. With the aggressor on your right, however, you have another option: you can encourage or discourage callers by calling or raising.

<BLOCKQUOTE>Also, on the flop what would you need to go allin/make large raises? Nut low made, with nut flush draw perhaps? Nut low, and a set? Top set with one or no low cards out? </BLOCKQUOTE>

A standard nut low (A2) flopping isn't that hot in this game. Whereas I think limit O8 players worry too much about getting quarted, it's a big concern in NL. A quirky made low with something else going for it may be worth a move, but be careful, if you have no high. You have to move the highs off their hands, or give half the pot to someone who paired his deuce.

When you flop a high hand, you have consider when to make your move. If there are two low cards out there, you may want to make the lows pay to draw. If there is one low card on the flop, you may want to let a low card hit the turn, fire on fourth street, and hope for calls from low-chasers.

Same theory applies when you flop a set. If I have a big set and see two flush or straight cards on the flop, I may be disposed to charging the draws for more cards. But since it's so easy in this game for a nut flush draw to go with a low, this can be dangerous and it may be best to wait.

Same with flopping a flush draw. It's hard to get a set or straight off their hand, but if your flush hits on 4th street, you have to make the sets pay to draw.

I'd encourage any competent limit O8 player to play NL. You'll probably play fewer hands, and it can be one of the most boring games known to man, but it certainly is juicy.

12-19-2001, 09:06 PM
how to win NL O8 at pstars:

1. preflop, pretty much just call only with hands that can make the nuts, be slow to raise here, also tighten up your starting reqs ( YAWN....).

2. flop, play only the nuts with redraws, bet aggressively and often and you will get paid off most of the time.

there I should slap a cover on it and call it NL O8 for dummies.