PDA

View Full Version : TPGK - betting the flop and turn, check-raised on the turn?

digdeep
11-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Opponent is Tight Passive. I have noticed that it is a common play at $2/4 to check the flop with a made hand, call to the turn and the river, and then wake up? Was it right of me to slow down; as it appeared I had the Ace with a high kicker, and his raise indicates he can beat that?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

spamuell
11-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi digdeep,

If you are sure of your read that your opponent is tight-passive, you can fold to the turn check-raise, he'll almost always have a set.

Against unknowns or even someone who I suspect to be tight-passive but I haven't played enough with them to know that they don't get out of line, calling down is routine.

jtr
11-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi, Digdeep.

I second Spamuell's comments. If you're serious about your read of the opponent as tight-passive, I think it's a fold on the turn, otherwise call down as you did. Going to war (i.e., 3-betting) on the turn with your holding would be pointless against most passive low-limit opponents. My own estimate would be 2/3 set, 1/3 2-pair for the bad guy's hand.

Cheers,
--JTR.