PDA

View Full Version : Are these calls in the BB with Axs costing me money?

Grisgra
11-04-2004, 12:37 PM
This one worked out okay, but as you can see I played it super-bad weak because my kicker sucked. I'm wondering whether I should be calling at all.

I'm also wondering whether this is indeed weak -- I'm remembering something from HEFAP. If I raise and I'm behind, I lose more money. If I raise and I'm ahead, I make the same amount of money or chase him away. So just calling might be okay after all.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.20 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font>

Guido
11-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I think you have a lot of options... not sure which one is best.

Preflop: Call
Flop: Bet or check-raise or check-call
Turn: When I bet the flop I keep betting, same with a check-raise. When I check-call the flop I check-call the turn too.
River: No matter how I played the hand before I would bet the river in all cases. A better hand will raise you or call you but he would have bet anyway so you can bet just as well. When he raises you have an easy fold without a read. Hands like 88, 99, QQ, KK or KT for example will check behind on the river most of the time but will call a bet. That's why I would bet out instead of check-calling again. Just my thoughts...

Guido

wheelz
11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
It's not that bad as long as you bet the river.

Grisgra
11-04-2004, 03:46 PM
If I think I'm ahead on the river, then why not raise the turn?

I can see betting if I'm checked to, but he raised pf, bet the flop, bet the river -- I should automatically assume I'm ahead?

I guess this is a "bet because he'll call with more hands than he'd bet" situation, even if there's a &gt;50% chance I'm behind, eh? I assume I fold to a raise?

J.R.
11-04-2004, 03:58 PM
"If I think I'm ahead on the river, then why not raise the turn?"

You are:

1) less likely to get paid off if you check-raise the turn and are ahead. The river lead bet seems fishy (except to a good player) and often induces a curiosity/steaming call and

2) I'm a bit shakier on number 2 but think there may be less of a chance of a river raise than a turn 3-bet when you are behind- although I am not sure about this because a turn check-raise is a strong move.

runa
11-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Because you get the most out of a high PP or second pair on the flop that's trying to push you off a hand when you're ahead, and lose the least against ace+higher kicker if you're behind. If raised on the river, which is rare, supposedly you can either safely fold or, given the size of the pot, just call down and end the action. Its a typical you might be way ahead/way behind play.

SlantNGo
11-04-2004, 04:38 PM
From what I've read, check/call, check/call, bet seems to be the standard action with a hand that's not strong enough to raise but worth seeing a showdown. The bet on the river to sniff out semi-bluffs and induce a crying call from your opponent.