PDA

View Full Version : Good Play??

elcheapo
11-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Hand came up in the middle stages of a sng with the two key players at around 1000 chips. I complete with KQ from the sb and blinds are 15-30. Flop comes J-10-4 rainbow, I took my standard line which is bet out small and see the reaction and whether I can get odds to hit my outs. UTG + 1
raises it to 3 times my bet which I really didn't think committed him to the pot. Since I think I can get him to fold to an all in reraise thats what I do. He calls reluctantly with KJ and I hit an ace on the river to knock him out. Everybody at the table was saying how bad a move it was and how terrible a player I am but I have 11-13 outs (11 in this case) and some fold equity. Is this +EV or do these people have a point.

tigerite
11-04-2004, 01:07 PM
With the blinds at 15-30 it may be a bit soon to be making a move like this, even though you've a strong draw. The problem is over 50% of the time you won't make it. If you're one of the better players, and not short stacked, you shouldn't be risking it yet. But the move isn't all that terrible, and it certainly doesn't make you a poor player.

As for your outs, you have to count it as 8 + half for each of the K and Q, so 11. That's the line I take anyway, you can't be sure the KQ outs are good. He may have QJ, KJ or AJ in this position, or possibly two pair (JT) in which case neither are good.

tigerite
11-04-2004, 01:09 PM
It also depends on how much is in the pot.. is it worth risking your tourney to win about 100-150 now? Later on then this is definitely a +EV move, but right at this moment in time, I'm not sure. I'd probably just call his bet, but as for the turn, this is one I'm quite weak on and would like other's opinion on where he'd go from there.

ThorGoT
11-04-2004, 02:39 PM
I think you can realistically put the raiser on AJ (I know he had KJ, which actually worsens your situation by taking away three outs instead of one, but *he* doesn't know that). If that's what he had, he'd be a small favorite to what you actually have. But you got your all-in in first. And you could have a straight draw with two overcards (which you do), but you could also easily have two pair (JT), or a set and are a little scaredy-cat. Even if the first possibility is most likely (say, 60%, 20%, 10%), I suspect that he's a net loser against the average (I don't have pokerstove, but someone could run the numbers). So, really, *he* made a mistake in calling.

captZEEbo1
11-04-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure what buyin this is at, I'm assuming 20 or less. If YOU can realistically put him on AJ, then this is a terrible play. I think most all people at the 20 dollar or less buyin aren't folding AJ here, so you're just pushing a coinflip IMO.