PDA

View Full Version : Books for new players...but not that new

Rasputin
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
I read the "Three books for brand new players" thread where there seemed to be something approaching a consensus that the following five books made a good course for a beginner:

[ QUOTE ]
1. WLLH - Jones
2. TOP - Sklansky
3. Middle Limit Holdem - Brier and Ciaffone
4. Small Stakes Holdem - Eddie et al.
5. HPFAP - Sklansky & Malmuth

[/ QUOTE ]

Original thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=928263&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

I'd like to see if I could get some revised opinions based on my particular situation.

I've read TPFAP, HEPFAP, HEP, SuperSystem, and a couple others with names I don't recall at the moment. Frankly, I got ahead of myself, not because I don't understand the concepts, but because my game and my opposition aren't in a position to apply those concepts. You can't make a play on a guy who doesn't pay any attention to what you're doing.

I've been playing on PokerStars, mostly the $5.50 NL SnGs then moving to the $6.50 turbos. I haven't kept track the whole time, but over the past 60 something of the $6.50 NL turbos I've been in the money about 42% of the time with more firsts than anything else and roughly a 28% return on my investment.

Point being that while I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I'm not a complete idiot either.

The problem is that almost every time I venture into ring games I lose. Mostly just a little but the horrendous losses have happened enough that I'm convinced it's not just a stretch of bad luck.

It's me. I'm sucking and I don't want to suck. I'm more comfortable with no limit tourneys but that comfort level isn't there in no limit ring games or limit ring games.

I have Theory of Poker on it's way to me. What other books should I be looking at in order to get to the point where I can win consistently enough to get experience without having to take a break and play the turbos to build my bankroll (such as it is) up enough so I can afford to play.

Also, with these books, are there any limits too small to make us of their teachings?

Edit--I've been looking at SSH and WLLH and wondering if either of those should be my next step. WLLH sounds like it is more for complete newbies, is that correct? So anyone with a modicum of experience would be better off with SSH is that the case? How does that Internet Holdem book fit in?

I'd appreciate any advice y'all have. Thanks,

Bernas
11-04-2004, 12:22 PM
I think your problem might be that you are trying to jump from a Sit and go TURBO format to a ring game. Ring games require a definitel level of patience. Tournaments require a level of patience too but TURBO tournaments do not. In fact, they punish you for being patient. When you try to make the jump next time, try cutting the percentage of hands you play in half.

Rasputin
11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your problem might be that you are trying to jump from a Sit and go TURBO format to a ring game. Ring games require a definitel level of patience. Tournaments require a level of patience too but TURBO tournaments do not. In fact, they punish you for being patient. When you try to make the jump next time, try cutting the percentage of hands you play in half.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no question there's some of that, but the ultimate question still remains...what are the best books for a player with some experience who wants to get better at low limits?

Rudbaeck
11-04-2004, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no question there's some of that, but the ultimate question still remains...what are the best books for a player with some experience who wants to get better at low limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's limit you want to play then it's SSH beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If it's small stakes no limit then you're out of luck. The litterature on NL is pretty mediocre. Reuben&Ciaffone's Pot&No Limit book is ok, but very short. It just doesn't get into the nitty gritty detail the way you want it to.

darvon
11-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Might I make a suggestion?

Although SSH seems to me a good book, I think I would make your next purchase PokerTracker.

Then start giving this forum your stats and see if they can make suggestions on what facet of your play to change/improve.

THEN you might look to chapters in your existing books or new ones to build new techniques for said facet.