PDA

View Full Version : Axs coldcall

wuarhg
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Right to coldcall here when table went into a bit of a loose phase and I expected a few callers behind me too?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds.

River: (11 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB

TheHip41
11-04-2004, 11:21 AM
You lost 3BB on a hand you shouldn't even have been in. Your implied odds for hitting spades go way down with the raise. Even if you hit an ace, can you raise?

wuarhg
11-04-2004, 11:31 AM
If you look at the SSH loose-game chart it says it's ok to coldcall Axs on button. But I dunno?

TheHip41
11-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I've found that cold calling with A-trash(s) isn't a great play unless you have about 4 callers inbetween. If your PFR has A-x, you are in a world of trouble. If he has 99-KK, you are in a world of trouble. The only time you can continue with this past the flop is when you flop a straight draw, flush draw, two pairs, or trip x's. Fold and wait for a better opportunity.

wuarhg
11-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Okay, thanks for clearing that up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

QuickLearner
11-04-2004, 12:36 PM
You cold-called twice in the same hand, right? The pre-flop one is a stretch for me. But the one on the flop is the worst of your three options. At least raising your flush draw might have knocked out the over-caller. And it probably would have given you a free river card. After all, thr raiser may be on the same draw that you are, but you have him beat.

I'd have folded pre-flop; the flop is a clear raise/fold for me and I'd not criticize either of those choices. I'd lean slightly to raising.

Yads
11-04-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You cold-called twice in the same hand, right? The pre-flop one is a stretch for me. But the one on the flop is the worst of your three options. At least raising your flush draw might have knocked out the over-caller. And it probably would have given you a free river card. After all, thr raiser may be on the same draw that you are, but you have him beat.

I'd have folded pre-flop; the flop is a clear raise/fold for me and I'd not criticize either of those choices. I'd lean slightly to raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why he'd want to raise to knock out the other caller. Also wouldn't he want to go for overcalls to build the pot for his flush draw?

QuickLearner
11-05-2004, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why he'd want to raise to knock out the other caller. Also wouldn't he want to go for overcalls to build the pot for his flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that raising would charge the others more to stay in the hand. I figure that I'm behind at the moment, so it doesn't break my heart that an opponent folds. If I miss my flush (which I probably will) but catch top pair (I can hope, can't I? /images/graemlins/smile.gif) it gives me a better chance to win.

ChessMan
11-05-2004, 01:27 AM
In late position with only 3 people in the pot, SSH says revert to tight games table against a raise.

In tight games, against a raise, there is very little you can call with. A-trash suited isn't one of them. It's a clear fold, according to SSH.