PDA

View Full Version : SSHE questions.

OrianasDaad
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Just finished reading SSHE a few times, and did well on the quizzes, but a paragraph at the end led me to a question, and the overall strategy led me to another.

1. It states that a player can make $50,000/year playing 3/6. According to my math, that's almost 4.2 BB/hr - assuming 40 hrs per week and a two week vacation. Is this number realistic?

2. The aggressive play SSHE recommends would seem to create a higher variance (compared to the weak-tight strats that many other texts recommend for low limit play). Should I increase my bankroll requirements for each limit as I move up, or is 300BB still good?

Lost Wages
11-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Read all of this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=880129&page=0&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

Lost Wages

Ed Miller
11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
1. It states that a player can make $50,000/year playing 3/6. According to my math, that's almost 4.2 BB/hr - assuming 40 hrs per week and a two week vacation. Is this number realistic?

This assumes playing online. Think four tables simultaneously getting sixty hands per hour.

2. The aggressive play SSHE recommends would seem to create a higher variance (compared to the weak-tight strats that many other texts recommend for low limit play). Should I increase my bankroll requirements for each limit as I move up, or is 300BB still good?

Well, it all depends on exactly how you define "bankroll." Will you be able to add money to it later (i.e., do you have a job?). Will you be taking money out of it? Will you be playing in aggressive or passive games? (BTW, I believe that the type of GAME you play will affect your variance much more than adopting a more aggressive personal style will... provided you continue to play tightly throughout.)

To somewhat answer your question... for a fairly good player playing, say, $3-$6 online... a 300 BB or greater losing streak should not be common, but it is certainly possible. If I were playing $3-$6 online as my only source of income, and I were drawing from my bankroll regularly to help support myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than about $4500 or $5000.

OrianasDaad
11-04-2004, 03:35 PM
I had not considered the possibility of playing multiple tables. 1BB/hr per table seems reasonable with good table selection, and superior multi-tabling skills.

My second question was also answered perfectly. Thanks Ed, for your reply, and fantastic book.

MicroBob
11-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Do yourself a favor and DON'T read all of that thread!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
LOL

Ed pretty much summed it up....yes, they are talking about multi-tabling online.

4 tables at barely more than 1BB/hr on each (at 3/6) = $25/hr
$25/hr X 40 hours = $1k/wk (or $50k per 50 weeks).

However, at some point your bankroll will hopefully get large enough and your poker will get strong enough where you will want to consider stepping up in levels.

Ed said $4.5-$5k if you are paying your bills and poker is your sole source of income.
I would agree with this for the most part....although that amount of money is about the minimum I think assuming a monthly nut in the range of $2k or so and I really wouldn't feel that 'comfortable' there.

Personally, $6k-$7k is really where I can say I wouldn't be stressing out about it too excessively....$4.5k-$5k I could survive.....but I certainly wouldn't be very comfortable.

But this is probably as much an issue of math as it is personality. I just wouldn't go around recommending that people quit their jobs with only $4.5k in the bank even if they are a proven winner......but, again, this is personal preference....and if you aren't completely screwed if it goes badly (if you can get your old job back fairly easily, etc etc) then I guess it's okay.

Regarding the variance.....some people have reported significant increases in their variance playing 'The Ed Miller way' but a lot of times those who are first starting to implement unfamiliar strategies seem to go overboard without realizing it and may not actually be playing the way that Ed would recommend.
There have been many misinterpretations of the SSHE concepts (surprising to me because of how well-written the book is).....and if you do that too badly then you will have super-duper variance, but that's also because you are costing yourself bets by playing badly.

Thus, if you do drop 200-300BB's you really need to make sure you are actually implementing the concepts correctly. I would suggest that those who are less familiar with this aggressive playing style who lose 200-300BB's are more likely to be misapplying the concepts then they are to just be suffering a bad spell of variance (although both are possible).

froggy527
11-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Sure is nice to have a question about a book,and have
the author come in and reply to you question!

AngryCola
11-05-2004, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do yourself a favor and DON'T read all of that thread!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not take your advice, and there are now 30 minutes of MY life that I want back! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I also feel dumber, having read all of that, including the seperate internet thread. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Man, that guy was really dumb or just a professional troll. /images/graemlins/spade.gif