PDA

View Full Version : Flopping trips.

Granite
11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I have noticed that the vast majority of players in the micro's seem to slowplay when they flop trips. I have been doing this as well, unless the flop is a rainbow.

I am allways more suspicious of a checked flop and then a bet on the turn. Lately I have tried betting trips on the flop as I thought this would be more deceptive, but it seems like I am making alot less out of these hands, with usually everyone folding. Would I be correct in thinking that this kind of play is something to do in higher limits, but to keep it simple in the micro's?
Cheers,
Granite

TheHip41
11-04-2004, 09:43 AM
I bet trips everytime on the flop. Everytime. People just wont believe you. If you check the flop, then bet the turn, and they all fold, they were going to fold because they have nothing. I'd bet, and hope someone hits an overcard. People love to call, let them call.

fairness
11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
agreed.

Stupendous_Man
11-04-2004, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that the vast majority of players in the micro's seem to slowplay when they flop trips. I have been doing this as well, unless the flop is a rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I follow the rationale behind your last comment. If the flop is a rainbow, and you flop trips, why would you be less inclined to slow play than when the flop isn't a rainbow? Seems to me that if you flop trips and there are 2suited cards in the flop, that's when you want to bet out vs. trying to slowplay.

[ QUOTE ]
I am allways more suspicious of a checked flop and then a bet on the turn. Lately I have tried betting trips on the flop as I thought this would be more deceptive, but it seems like I am making alot less out of these hands, with usually everyone folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of surprised your experiencing this (people actually making the correct play by laying down) at the micro-limits. I tend to find people calling anyways, not believing you hit trips. I too see a number of people slowplay trips on the flop, hoping to get callers on the turn for the BB (vs. the flop's SB). As far as potential winnings from trips, I don't believe they'll every make you as much as a set does.

Granite
11-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep trying the betting option with these and see how I go. I was probably unlucky not to get much action with the few times I tried this.

If it didn't come across right Stupendous, I meant I wouldn't slowplay if there was a flush draw.

young nut
11-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I also agree with the logic to bet out every time hitting trips on the flop. People will call you, trust me, they are fish. I would say my flop bet gets called 75 to 80% of the time when i hit trips.