PDA

View Full Version : 7 Stud Question

12-15-2001, 04:47 PM
10/20 stud game. You are the bring in with a 2 and a 5 and another 2 in the hole. You get 4 callers, including an Ace and a King both on your right. Both the Ace and the King catch medium sized cards, the King of its suit. Action starts on your left. BOth players on your left check. Ace bets, king raises. You have paired your five and now have two small pair. Your cards are live. Should you always fold in this spot?

12-15-2001, 04:50 PM
Sorry in hand above players on left are yet to act on 4th street

12-15-2001, 05:43 PM
Fold or reraise, depending on your read of the situation. The textbook play, if all of your cards are still live, is to reraise and try to get heads-up with the K, but if the A is a tenacious player, or if either of the two remaining players is an extreme calling station, or if any fives or two are gone, it's better to just fold. You don't win a lot of pots with two small pair unless you can get heads-up.

Fer shur you can't call.

TRLS

12-16-2001, 12:22 AM
This hand is playable heads up, but for the most part becomes a disaster in a three way or multi-way pot. When you play two pair against a higher pair the majority of your profit comes from when the higher pair dosen't improve and your two small pair hold up. In a multi-way pot you'll most likely always have to fill. So unless you think you can achieve heads up status by raising (which you probably won't be able to do) then just fold. You not only have to be sure that the Ace won't call, and if he does have Aces he just about always will, but that the other players yet to act won't as well.

Mike

12-16-2001, 02:38 AM
no its not a fold. you are only in some trouble if one has a higher pair and one has two pair. most likely in this spot you can reraise and get it head up against the big pair. you are a small favorite and have the dead money working for you.

if you know something about the raiser than that might be different.

12-16-2001, 04:44 AM
Hello,Hetron,

In a 10-20 game ,always fold! In a higher game,go to 5th st. with your live cards.;if no improvement,fold!

Sitting Bull

12-16-2001, 03:21 PM
I think that is certainly true at higher limits. But at 10-20 most likely you will still get threeway action, or sometimes even more. In that situation do you think you still can play?

Pat

12-16-2001, 07:13 PM
"no its not a fold. you are only in some trouble if one has a higher pair and one has two pair. most likely in this spot you can reraise and get it head up against the big pair" Ray Zee

Not in most 10-20 games that I have played in. You raise with that two pair in my games and you're still very likely to be in a multi way pot. Perhaps in the bigger games raising makes sense but at 10-20 you'll encounter some players that you couldn't chase out with a wip. As for "your only in some trouble if one has a higher pair and one has two pair" aren't you in just about the same amount of trouble if two overpairs call you???

Maybee Ray forgot about the type of opponents you'll encounter at 10-20 because he plays so much higher.

Mike

12-16-2001, 08:31 PM
Something is wrong here. If no one paired, how come the Ace does not 1st bet. Why and how can 2 people check before the highest card has the opportunity to bet?

With $23 in the pot initially then $30 more ($53) A $20 cold call with the possibility of having to get raised by the A, it could cost me $30 to compete for $113 (30/113 --about a 1:4). I have only 4 outs (4/24--1:6). Looks like a fold, because I do not expect to push anyone away except for the people I can beat. I would expect that I could make a nice pot if I kept people in. Implied odds would be OK, but too risky here unless I know the players. If I raise, that says 2 pair, and the Ace will reraise me.

12-16-2001, 10:55 PM

12-17-2001, 12:36 AM
so in the example we are talking about you think that when the ace bets and the king raises then you reraise you still will get others coming into the pot. no, i dont know of games like that too often, but why then would you fold a hand that will fillup about one time in four.

12-17-2001, 12:43 AM
it depends on lots of things, like live cards and such. but you are okay against two overpairs(didnt i say that) especially since there is some dead money already.

the thing is with this hand expect to lose the pot the majority of the time. is that what freaks people out.