PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Hi low trouble

12-14-2001, 11:18 PM
Let Say in omaha hi low you hold Ah3h4d6h Preflop there are 7 limpers and you i call from the button (is this correct?). On the flop comes A37 with two spades, if there is a bet and several callers should i call?

What happens if the turn is another spade (8spades) do i still continue. I find that whenever i flop two pair i dont know what to do?

I hope you can help me out.

Thanks

12-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Fold the flop. You have a weak non-nut draw for half the pot.

TRLS

12-16-2001, 01:26 PM
yes

yes

because you have both a straight draw and a so so low hand not to mention your full house draw

but if there is a lot of strong betting then the answer whould probably be no to both questions

two pair will win a few pots, but not many. obviously the more players in the pot, the more likely it is that someone will have the nuts

omaha is a drawing game, but you would like many outs to make a very strong hand. generall you will need to assume the nuts are made

12-16-2001, 01:29 PM
forgot to mention this---over on the left , near bottom of index, you can click on Con Jel Co and go to their site where you can order book by Ray Zee on this game....it's best one!

12-17-2001, 04:44 AM
"Let Say in omaha hi low you hold Ah3h4d6h Preflop there are 7 limpers and you i call from the button (is this correct?)."

Michael - Ah3h4d6h is a decent hand, generally playable from any position, but not a premium hand. I would tend to raise with the hand from early or middle position, hoping to limit the field and perhaps get an idea of what I was up against and possibly intimidate my opponents on subsequent betting rounds.

However, after seven limpers raising is simply not going to limit the field. Therefore I would tend to just call with the hand from the button. But a raise would be all right too, depending on your motivation. It's not a "value raise" hand.

Having three hearts decreases your chance of making a heart flush by roughly thirty per cent. You’d rather the six of hearts be a two or ace, or the six of something else, or even a black king or queen.

"On the flop comes A37 with two spades, if there is a bet and several callers should i call?"

No. Fold. You have flopped top and bottom two pair. Especially with this many people seeing the flop, someone could easily have top two pair, top set, or middle set. Thus you are probably not the leader for high after the flop and you have no realistic chance for low. If you continued play with this hand after this flop you would be "chasing." You have only four outs to make your full house after the flop - either of the two missing aces or the two missing threes are favorable cards or "outs." The other 41 unknown cards are unfavorable cards. With 41 unfavorable cards and only 4 favorable cards, the most likely scenario (odds of 41 to 4 or about 10 to 1) is that you will not like the turn card.

"What happens if the turn is another spade (8 spades) do i still continue."

No. Fold. After the eight of spades appears on the turn you still have only the same four outs, either of the two missing aces or the two missing threes. After the turn there are 40 unfavorable cards (instead of the earlier 41) and 4 favorable cards. The odds are thus 40 to 4 (10 to 1) that you won't like the river card.

How much money is in the pot? Whatever it is, since you should plan on splitting it with low if you do win for high, there is simply not enough in the pot to justify further investment from you. It’s not even close.

"I find that whenever i flop two pair i dont know what to do?"

All of us occasionally have difficulty deciding what to do with two pair on the flop. There are simply all sorts of possibilities for two pair on the flop. Sometimes you should continue play and sometimes you shouldn't.

To begin, there are three ways to flop two pair. You can flop (1) top two pair, (2) top and bottom two pair and (3) bottom two pair. Clearly you’d prefer to flop top two pair. But there is much more to it than just that.

Holding Ah-3h-4d-6h, when the flop is As-3s-7d, you have flopped top and bottom two pair. With all those opponents who have seen the flop there is a good chance one of them has flopped the top two pair or top set - and if so, you are drawing dead - and for only half the pot because you will almost surely have to split with low even if you do win for high, which is unlikely. Aggressive betting will not serve to limit the field because, in addition to anyone drawing for a high hand, there will be people staying for low who might back into a win for high. It's a bad place to be. In this situation, the scenario you have described, a fold is clearly in order.

However, compare the situation you described to holding Ah-Kh-Jd-3c and flopping Ks-9h-3d. Here, as in your posted scenario, you have also flopped top and bottom two pair, but the flop is a rainbow, and low is unlikely. You still have only four outs to make your full house, but you also have some back door possibilities, are not worried about the spade flush, and are playing for the whole pot rather than half of it. If you bet aggressively in this situation you may be able to drive out most of your opponents. Against a small field your top and bottom two pair is probably favored to win.

Hope this helps.

Buzz

12-17-2001, 06:55 PM
If you can't pump it -- dump it. Kidding.... It's really self answering questions "rhetorical," that you posted. I sense that you are relatively new to playing Omaha 8. It's obvious you are learning fast, and realize that you are standing on "thin-ice" with certain pocket hands after the flop. That is very good -- some players draw to anything after the flop. I think you need a little information from the OM8 experts and some more playing experience. I feel that you are catching on to the game. So like most posters have probably told you, read Zee's and a few other good books on OM8. Browse Shane Smith's OM8 book "Omaha Hi-Lo Poker (8 or better). When I started playing OM8 in the LA County, CA area about 15 years, there was little written advice on OM8. But today there are lots of ways to learn how to improve your OM8 play.

Also think about: seat position with respect to the button; number of players seeing the flop (look for a good game); determine who are the better players in the game (if you are having problems with a specific player, then try to be seated across from that player); prefer to have the one best player in the game more to your immediate right. You know this stuff from playing other poker games.

12-17-2001, 07:00 PM
you have to be all-in to continue to play your hand.