PDA

View Full Version : Stars 10$ rebuy 20k guarenteed - Is this a good lay down?

remen
11-04-2004, 04:48 AM
This hand is from the nightly pokerstars 10$ rebuy 20k guarenteed tourney. The rebuy period ended about 45 minutes ago. I had been playing a bit loose during the rebuy period and probably didn't have a very solid table image. I had doubled up twice in a row in the last 20 minutes with aces and kings, so I was on a bit of a rush. The opponent in this hand has been playing fairly solid so far.

Do you call or fold to your opponent's all in bet here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">SB (t16215)</font>
BB (t47231)
UTG (t3808)
UTG+1 (t9090)
MP1 (t9535)
MP2 (t14195)
MP3 (t12590)
CO (t13307)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t35145)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t16190</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

I will post my reasons for my action in a bit.

srblan
11-04-2004, 05:24 AM
Fold, you don't want to race in this spot, and you don't really want to double up your opponent. You might even consider folding it face-up, waiting for a bigger hand, then making the same raise and hoping that someone tries to raise you off of it.

Prime Time
11-04-2004, 09:38 AM
You r either a 4-1 favorite, or its a race.
From the button can look like a steal exploiting your tight image.
Either way, I think you r ahead.
Call, you got him covered.

remen
11-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Anyone else have any thoughts on this hand?

Pat Southern
11-04-2004, 06:45 PM
This is an easy call. The SB will be playing back at button raises with a lot worse hands than JJ, and probably wouldn't make that big of a bet with AA, KK, QQ.

Maverick_00
11-04-2004, 06:57 PM
I personally think folding is the play. There will be easier spots to get your money in. At this stage you'd be about 4k above average if I am no mistaken. The blinds are only 200/400 and it would be a needless risk.

remen
11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
I was about double the average at the time actually.

Steve Chase
11-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I would call.
Very likely he has a smaller pair than JJ.
Worst case is if he has AK or AQ. It is a coinflip in this case.
Very unlikely he has AA, KK or QQ.

Easy call

11-04-2004, 10:51 PM
I call for a couple reasons.

First, you're raising on the button, so since your range of raising hands opens up, his range of re-raising hands opens up as well. He doesn't need to have AK, AA, KK, QQ, etc. to move in.

Second: his raise is big, so he doesn't think you have to call. What I mean by this is: his raise is roughly 15k more, so you are not getting the odds to call with any 2, so his hand, therefore(if he's thinking about this) doesn't have to be as strong.

The last reason I call is that if you call and lose, you will still have 50BB and still in great shape.

Gavin Griffin

familyteeth
11-04-2004, 11:38 PM
I call, and showdown JJ, even if you lose this hand, you're in good shape and the table will think twice before defending their blinds against you

remen
11-05-2004, 03:55 AM
I actually did make the call. I originally posted that I didn't so people's opinions wouldn't be biased. My first instict was to fold though, mainly because I had just accumulated a lot of chips very quickly and did not want to lose them on a mediocre hand.

Luckily, before I hit the fold button, I started to think about what my opponent would do that with and why. I definetly did not think he would overbet the pot like that with AA/KK, very very small possibility of queens. Then I realised he probably put me on a steal and made this bet wanting me to fold. Once I put this together, it became a clear call.

I called, he shows 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and doesn't improve. I become one of the top ten in chips and end up finishing 13th.

Another question, would you still make this call if you had 9's instead of jacks? What is the lowest pocket pair you would make this call with?

Dr_Colossus
11-05-2004, 05:39 AM
Tough call with the Js but a good one none the less, glad it worked out. Were there overcards on the flop? Did you not also consider him having the likes of A K thereby possibly making the situation a coin flop. Alot of people don't know how to play A K and just get it all-in preflop regardless of their stack if they get some kind of action in front of them.
I think Js are the lowest possible pocket pair you can call with here, he could easily have done the same with 10s or 9s although the size of his bet did indicate weakness and unwanting a caller. With this size of bet he could have anything from pocket 2s to 10s.

remen
11-05-2004, 06:20 AM
I don't see why it is relevant, but the community cards ended up being 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif - A /images/graemlins/spade.gif - A /images/graemlins/heart.gif - Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif - A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I definetly thought AK/AQ was a strong possibility at the time, but jacks are about a 56/44 favorite over AK/AQ. So in my mind, I was at worst a 12% favorite, with a good possibility of having my opponent drawing to 2-3 outs. Putting my opponent on the range of hands AK-AJ and 66-JJ I am about a 68/32 favorite. This is clearly too large an edge to fold.

Personally, I think that I would call with tens here, have an extremely tough decision with 9's, and probably muck 8's.

11-05-2004, 08:00 AM
"Personally, I think that I would call with tens here, have an extremely tough decision with 9's, and probably muck 8's."

I agree.