PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Coen Brothers film.

brassnuts
11-04-2004, 03:27 AM
For me

1. Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Hudsucker Proxy (just a hair behind Fargo)

liquidboss
11-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Big Lebowski, hands down... One of the best movies ever. Don't get me wrong, many of their movies are boss, but The Big Lebowski is friggin amazing...

craig r
11-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Damn, that is really tough. Big Lebowski would be a first. But, I also liked Raising Arizona a lot. And I thought Miller's Crossing was even okay. I guess I like all their stuff.

craig

J.R.
11-04-2004, 04:25 AM
1. Miller's Crossing (I'm a noire sucker, and a ganster film with Characters, great storytelling, uniquely gripping cinematography and a twisitng plot- How'd they do that)

2. Fargo

3. Barton Fink (not the duo's traditional fare, like Miller's crossing it shows off soem real skills you wouldn't think they had)

4. Raising Arizona

5. O'Brother Where Art There (the soundtrack)

6. Big Lebowski (the most fun)

7. Blood Simple /images/graemlins/laugh.gif (not their usual line either, but low budget-horror for two kids)

nicky g
11-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Best (from best to worst)
Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
Miller's Crossing

Worst:
Lebowski
Man Who Wasn't There

In between: Cruel Intentions. I thought it was pretty good for what it was, don't know why it got so badly slated.
I never saw The Ladykillers. It looked bad, anyone see it?

Topflight
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Cruel Intentions is not a Coen brothers film.

Intolerable Cruelty is a Coen brothers film.

scrub
11-04-2004, 09:22 AM
1. Big Lebowski
2. Barton Fink
3. Blood Simple
4. Fargo

scrub

nicky g
11-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Opps. I always get those muddled up. Maybe cos I saw Cruel Intentions in Brussels where it had a different name. more likely cos I'm dumb.

whiskeytown
11-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Oh Brother Where Art Thou...just the right dose of quirkiness and story.

and the only good film George Clooney has ever done besides Ocean's 11 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topflight
11-04-2004, 09:48 AM
I never saw Intolerable Cruelty, but Cruel Intentions was excellent.

nicky g
11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Out of Sight is good.

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Miller's Crossing (by a mile)

sfer
11-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Fargo. I love Marge's little monologue in the police car at the end. And for what? For a little bit of money. There's more to life than money, you know. Don't you know that?

Tyler Durden
11-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I saw part of Ladykillers last night. Seemed kinda bad. My roommate who watched the entire thing said it sucked.

The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie of theirs.

Uston
11-04-2004, 11:42 AM
1. Blood Simple
2. Big Lebowski
3. Barton Fink

bdk3clash
11-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Wow is this hard. I think "Fargo" is in its own category, but "Miller's Crossing" and "Barton Fink" are awesome too.

Boris
11-04-2004, 01:33 PM
So is Three Kings.

Bubbagump
11-04-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the only good film George Clooney has ever done besides Ocean's 11

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree. From Dusk Til Dawn was a fine film. Robert Rodriquez has come a long way as a director since then but it is by far one of my favorite vampire movies. Cheech Marin's Pussy monologue was classic. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bubbagump

Dominic
11-04-2004, 02:33 PM
It's still Blood Simple...although I love 'em all.

The Dude
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
2. Hudsucker Proxy
3. Fargo.

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only good film George Clooney has ever done besides Ocean's 11

[/ QUOTE ]
Out of Sight was good.
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was great.
Perfect Storm was good.
Three Kings was great.
Return of the Killer Tomatoes was...

brassnuts
11-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Just to clarify, I was asking for favorite films, not necessarily the most well done according to normal critiquing definitions.

Also, I can't believe I've never even heard of Miller Crossing. A gangster film by the Coen Bros. Next on my list to rent from Blockbuster. Movie Pass is great... just like Netflix without the wait. It also is pretty cool that I live less than 1 mile from Blockbuster.

brassnuts
11-04-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Hudsucker Proxy
3. Fargo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the Chinaman is NOT the issue here!

mikech
11-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Blood Simple is their best film: a perfectly executed tour de force. The last half of the movie went virtually without dialogue; how many filmmakers could pull that off? It's one of the best and most influential American crime films of the last 20 years. Watch it, and then watch Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and you'll easily see what I mean.

Sadat X
11-04-2004, 07:27 PM
1. Big Lebowski
2. Oh Brother
3. Hudsucker Proxy and Fargo (so different I can't decide which is better)

Their last two efforts, Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers have been sub-par but still better than 80% of the mainstream stuff.

Duke
11-04-2004, 08:20 PM
I didn't mind the Man Who Wasn't There. Big Lebowski was pretty good. Fargo didn't make me puke, but it wasn't great.

I enjoyed none of their others.

~D

Jett Rink
11-04-2004, 09:23 PM
These guys are so good it absolutely amazes me. Hands down the best film makers ever. Their sense of humour is so good that if you don't get it I pretty much don't want to know you.

1. Raising Arizona- the most laughs per minute of any movie ever made.

2. The Big Lebowski- so good it is sad to see a 2 in front of it. Plus Jeff Bridges was brilliant.

3. Fargo- Frances McDormand deserved the Oscar she won.

The world can have their Spielbergs, Oliver Stones, Coppollas, etc. I'll take the Coen Brothers.

Blarg
11-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Seen only Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, and The Hudsucker Proxy. Have Fargo and Big Lebowski and The Man Who Wasn't There in my queue at Netflix.

Of the four I've seen, I like Blood Simple by far the best. I even went and bought it. It has to have the worst commentary I've ever heard in my life though. The producer is the one doing it, and it was pure torture. The only DVD commentary I couldn't take more than 15 minutes of. What a waste -- woulda been great to hear the Coen brothers on it.

I just really liked how people always thought they knew what was going on in that film, but almost never did. Great concept.

Also the burying alive and the slow shooting holes in the wall that let long streams of light in. That was some really, really good stuff.

Zeno
11-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Blood Simple, numero uno.

It was re-released not too long ago and I saw it again. I'd forgotten how great it was. The last sequence/scenes are classic.

Fargo - Also Great.
Raising Arizona - Also Great.
The Big Lebowski - Also Great.

-Zeno

mikech
11-04-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of the four I've seen, I like Blood Simple by far the best. I even went and bought it. It has to have the worst commentary I've ever heard in my life though. The producer is the one doing it, and it was pure torture. The only DVD commentary I couldn't take more than 15 minutes of. What a waste -- woulda been great to hear the Coen brothers on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
The DVD commentary is, literally, a joke:

"The commentary on the DVD release is by "Kenneth Loring," the fictional artistic director of the equally fictional "Forever Young Films"; the director often has his facts scrambled. For instance, Loring claims that the scene with Ray and Abby driving in the rain talking about Marty was acted out in reverse as well as upside down, in order to synch the headlights passing the car just as certain lines were said. Loring claims that filming the scene backwards and upside down was the logical choice to get the timing right, and that the actors are wearing hair spray to keep their hair pointing "down." He does not explain why the rain on the windshield continues to run down on the final image, in defiance of gravity. Later in the commentary he claims that in scenes with both dialogue and music, the actors simply mouth the words and record them in post-production, so as not to interfere with the music; that Marty's dog is animatronic; that the sweat on various actors is "movie sweat," gathered from the flanks of Palomino horses; that Fred Astaire and Rosemary Clooney were at one time intended for the film; and that a fly buzzing about is not real, but the product of computer generated imagery. Towards the end of his commentary, Loring launches into a tirade against Merchant and Ivory Productions. Kenneth Loring was played by Jim Piddock, acting from a script by the Coen brothers."

mosta
11-04-2004, 11:10 PM
1. miller's crossing
2. blood simple
3. fargo
4. raising arizona
5-6. tie hudsucker and barton fink

these movies all have lots of great things, but they're also often over-weighted with an extreme film-school self-consciousness. recently however they've been declining hard. lebowski was forgetable at best. man who wasn't was bad. oh brother I haven't seen and don't need to. and I think they have another new one that is probably even worse. btw, clooney has as much charisma and personality as an idiot at a frat party (which is a pretty accurate description), as does pretty much the entire lame cast of ocean's 11. 3 kings is very good but not coen.

nothumb
11-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Man, you are just wrong.

You should know that one of the great Coen strengths is taking actors that are decent, or mediocre, or forgettable, and writing them great parts. John Goodman is really only good in Coen brothers movies. Walter is a great, great character played brilliantly.

My favorites are

1. Big Lebowski (and all you guys saying this movie isn't good, or you didn't see it, or whatever, are like those queers that say Burning Airlines is a better band than Led Zeppelin, just because you're a [censored] tool.)

2. Raising Arizona (the only movie where they make jokes about leaving a baby in a car seat on top of the car, leaving it in the road, etc.)

Beyond that, it's close between O Brother and the Hudsucker Proxy. I've seen almost all of their movies and liked all that I've seen.

NT

Blarg
11-05-2004, 12:51 AM
No wonder it seemed like such a joke. I didn't even probably get past 10 minutes of it. He spends that time wheezing and telling us fascinating tidbits something like, "This is a long shot" like he's dropping pearls of wisdom or telling us something really exciting. I thought I was gonna die, and just couldn't take it anymore.

theBruiser500
11-05-2004, 01:22 AM
1 Fargo
2 Barton Fink
3 Big Lebowski

I'm downloading Miller's Crossing now, never heard of it before. Fargo and Barton Fink are great movies, Barton Fink is close to being number 1, a sleeper than many people haven't heard of.

Losing all
11-05-2004, 03:56 AM
1 Lebowski
2 Miller's crossing
3 Fargo
4 Barton fink

Hudsucker and Raising Arizona are very good as well.

Man who wasn't there- boring, lame.
O'brother= horrible
Intolerable cruelty- I thought this movie sucked, and I didn't even know this was Coen brothers until now. that makes it worse.

For those asking about Miller's crossing, it's on Starz and encore all the time. Tonight and I think last night for example.

dsm
11-05-2004, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh Brother Where Art Thou...just the right dose of quirkiness and story.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Soggy Bottom Boys Rocked! (http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/685/395685_1_05.ram?obj=v40512)

-dsm

nicky g
11-05-2004, 06:01 AM
"Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was great"

Good point. And he directed it! Clooney's a star.

Senor Choppy
11-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Lebowski, Fargo, etc.

Does anyone know WTF is going on with these guys? Their last 2 films were some of the worst ever made.