PDA

View Full Version : War = Moral......Homosexuality = Immoral ??

collegeplayer1
11-04-2004, 01:44 AM
The bible is a book written thousands of years ago. Can someone please explain to me why so many people follow it? Since I was a child this has escaped me? Why? Why? Why? I rejected it instantly.

"Hey Man, this book was written by the imaginary man in the sky and it tells us how to live."

that cool. every civilization has its 'holy' book.

"yeah man, but this is the REAL book. GOD wrote it."

how do you know? the other people make the same claims?

"they are wrong. this is the only truthful holy book."

yeah, but how do you know?

"i know"

yeah, but how?

"you are going to hell. but i still love you"

....i dont get it.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 02:07 AM
You are without a doubt the most un-educated person ever. Not because you beleive the bible is a phony book, but the style in which you put forth your argument.

First you should realize the 3 Major fundamental religions all believe in the same God. Jew's, Christians, Muslims all believe in the same power although their belief's about how to live our lives are fundamentally different (There are smaller religions such as buddhism and asian/african sects). Jew's dont believe in Jesus, Muslims beleive in Mohammad-- Who also believed in Jesus.
That said there are only 3 Major Biblical books- The Old Testament, New Testament, and the Koran.
So what were you saying about every civlization having its own religion?

Most Christians don't think homosexual's are evil, nobody ever said that. We want to preserve the tradition of marriage as it's been this way for thousands of years. Don't put words in peoples mouths.

Also you ask why we beleive? Faith... Why do you care what we beleive? The bible is a "real" book whether you like it or not, it WAS written 2000 years ago. Now whether or not you beleive the book is divinely inspired is YOUR problem.
Most historians use the bible to re-create the time-line from pax romana in the roman period, because historians such as Polybius and Vegetius were either pre-pax romana or mid-antiquities.

Also this is the politics forum, not the religion forum. If you want to question Christianity as a faith please go find a priest or an atheist and confess your belief's to them. This post doesn't belong here.

mikech
11-04-2004, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are without a doubt the most un-educated person ever. Not because you beleive the bible is a phony book, but the style in which you put forth your argument.

First you should realize the 3 main religions all believe in the same God. Jew's, Christians, Muslims all believe in the same power although their belief's about how to live our lives are fundamentally different. Jew's dont believe in Jesus, Muslims beleive in Mohammad-- Who also believed in Jesus.
That said there are only 3 Major Biblical books- The Old Testament, New Testament, and the Koran.
So what were you saying about every civlization having its own religion?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't realize there were only 3 religions in the world. Does this mean there are only 3 civilizations in the world? I guess Hindus and Buddhists are figments of my imagination. The 5,000 year old Chinese civilization must just be a rumor. What were you saying about the most un-educated person ever?

Glenn
11-04-2004, 02:30 AM
<sarcasm>
You dummy...Asian religions don't count because all of those people are going to hell. Just like those Africans (I heard they're black, like the devil!).
<\sarcasm>

Oh and since we should honor the ancient traditions of marriage, does that mean marriages should be arranged and women should be married at age 13?

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 02:32 AM
You people are [censored] idiots. Seriously I said MAJOR, MAJOR RELIGIONS. Followers of Buddha and minor Asian sects are not nearly as large as the 3 major fundamental religions. Please read what i type originally before going straight for some small factual discrepancy (in which you are wrong) instead of ignoring the rest of the post.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 02:35 AM
People married at 13 because the life expectancy of people 2000 years ago was about 35. We now live to a ripe old age of around 78, meaning we have much more time to get married and start a family.
Please don't even try to that play that cord, your wrong.

mikech
11-04-2004, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You people are [censored] idiots. Seriously I said MAJOR, MAJOR RELIGIONS. Followers of Buddha and minor Asian sects are not nearly as large as the 3 major fundamental religions. Please read what i type originally before going straight for some small factual discrepancy (in which you are wrong) instead of ignoring the rest of the post.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are over 700 million followers of Hinduism in the world, some 13% of the planet's population. So Hinduism is not a "MAJOR, MAJOR RELIGION"? It's a "minor Asian sect"? What were you saying about [censored] idiots?

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 02:41 AM
# Christianity: 2 billion
# Islam: 1.3 billion
# Hinduism: 900 million
# Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 850 million
# Buddhism: 360 million
# Chinese traditional religion: 225 million
# primal-indigenous: 150 million
# African Traditional & Diasporic: 95 million
# Sikhism: 23 million
# Juche: 19 million
# Spiritism: 14 million
# Judaism: 14 million
# Baha'i: 6 million
# Jainism: 4 million
# Shinto: 4 million
# Cao Dai: 3 million
# Tenrikyo: 2.4 million
# Neo-Paganism: 1 million
# Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
# Rastafarianism: 700 thousand
# Scientology: 600 thousand
# Zoroastrianism: 150 thousand

It's funny there are 2 christians per every one Atheist/Agnostic. It's also funny how much larger Islam and Christianity are. Since they are a related religion that means they are :
2 billion + 1.3 billion + 14 million.
thats 3.3 billion followers

mikech
11-04-2004, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please show me links.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism

I shortchanged Hindus terribly; there are over 1 billion in the world. My apologies to any Hindus on this board. I said there were only 700 million+ of you, I'm the most un-educated person ever.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Any idiot can google "how many hindu's are there?."
Just because you learned there are over 1 billion Hindu's in the world, doesn't mean you are educated.

mikech
11-04-2004, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any idiot can google "how many hindu's are there?."
Just because you learned there are over 1 billion Hindu's in the world, doesn't mean you are educated.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've just nabbed a nomination for Most Ironic Post of the day.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 02:51 AM
It would be ironic if that was the sole basis of my argument. However, its not. I merely linked you to a website to provide statistics for people who read this and aren't completely following. Islam and Christianity are by far the dominating religion-- So my original post holds true. Is that all?

arabie
11-04-2004, 02:52 AM
"You are without a doubt the most un-educated person ever"
Shows how intellectual you are.

"That said there are only 3 Major Biblical books- The Old Testament, New Testament, and the Koran.
So what were you saying about every civlization having its own religion?"

He wasn't only directing his arguement at the three main religions, that was your false assumption.

"Christians, Muslims all believe in the same power although their belief's about how to live our lives are fundamentally different"

The whole context of your argument is incorrect. Also,
"...all believe in the same power...," that is absolutely not true and I will happily argue any proof you have showing otherwise.

"Most Christians don't think homosexual's are evil"

What are you talking about? Christian beliefs hold consistent that practicing homosexuals are sinners. The act of homosexuality is a sin, is it not?
Defintion:
evildoer
n : a person who sins (without repenting) [syn: sinner]

"Why do you care what we beleive?"

His point was regarding homosexuality so i'm assuming he cares because the three majore religions take an imposing stance on that particular issue. If you want to keep your traditions alive amongst you and your friends or fellow believers that is your right, just as much as it is anyone elses right to hold by their own tradions (whether new or old).

Lastly, the basic point that was being made about the bible being 2000 years old and, therefore, is unlikely to be real can be made sense of. I believe, the message was that one would expect a reasonable persone not to trust 200th plus-hand information. I don't trust second info, and our legal systems don't trust hersay, however, somehow tons of people have found trust in the words of those told to someone that wer then passed on to 2000 years later.

mikech
11-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Recap:

collegeplayer: every civilization has its own religion and holy book.

wooly: you idiot, there are only 3 religions in the world.

mike: umm...hindus? buddhists?

wooly: you idiot, i said MAJOR religions! not minor sects!

mike: umm...there are a LOT of hindus, like 700 million of em.

wooly: please show me links.

mike: [provides the link] wow...actually there are even more hindus than i thought.

wooly: you idiot, anybody can look up how many hindus there are.

arabie
11-04-2004, 02:58 AM
There are many religions larger than Judiasm. For someone so sure of himself, you are wrong on a lot of facts.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 03:00 AM
Nicholas Copernicus

Johannes Kepler

Galileo Galilei

Robert Boyle

Albert Einstein

Rene Descartes

Isaac Newton

Michael Faraday

Gregor Mendel

William Thompson Kelvin

Max Planck

Now who doesn't beleive in God?

Michael Moore.

Richard Simmons

& more...too lazy to look them up.

Also, this is a political forum-- Not a religion based one.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 03:00 AM
Judiasm is considered one of the 3 original Abraham based religions, hence the reason i mentioned it.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Recap:

collegeplayer: every civilization has its own religion and holy book.
(Hes wrong. There are many many civilizations and religions that don't have their Holy Book.)

wooly: you idiot, there are only 3 religions in the world.
(3 major doctrines and Religions in the world. It was an accident that I included Judaism where Hinduism should be)

mike: umm...hindus? buddhists?

wooly: you idiot, i said MAJOR religions! not minor sects!

mike: umm...there are a LOT of hindus, like 700 million of em.

(Thats minor to the amount of people who follow Christianity and Islam).

wooly: please show me links.
(I provided links, there are 900 million Hindu's--His estimates were off).

mike: [provides the link] wow...actually there are even more hindus than i thought.

wooly: you idiot, anybody can look up how many hindus there are.

arabie
11-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Ever wondeer why those two major religions are more popular than the rest? Few words for you...

Crusades (kill a bunch of people unless they convert)

Missionaries! (uh... send people all over the world to convert the most vulnrable people in 3rd world countries with an ultimatem resulting in hell.)

Jihad (world is divided into places, those who believe in allah, and those who believe in allah are in war against)

The main reason why so many people believe in these religions is also because of ethnocentrism, popularity, and the psychological satisfaction.

Also, if you want to compare statistics to atheists and agnostics, you should check your stats again in a few hundred years. IMOP your results will drastically change. Secular society has made massive increases in recent generations and who knows what science is soon going to show.

W00lygimp
11-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Crusades (kill a bunch of people unless they convert)

--Again this proves your an idiot. Do you have any idiot what the crusades were? They were an attempt by the Western Roman Empire (the Byzantines) to keep Turkish invaders from invading their lands.

arabie
11-04-2004, 03:17 AM
"Jews, consider him(Jesus) a Prophet who went mad"
Jew do not conider Jesus to be a prophet, but merely a well respected, educated rabbi who went mad. Muslims, however, do consder Jesus a prophet.

"Christians and Islamists are poorly informed and are unwilling to admit it. YES. All three religions of the "Book" JEWS CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS beleive in the same creator. They all trace their history to the GOD of Abraham and lineage through the HOUSE OF DAVID."

So you know more than the Christians and Islamists? And they have yet to be informed of your prophetic knowledge that no theist has yet to learn? You are mistakeing culturally historical similarities for religious beliefs.

Cyrus
11-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Hey, W00lly, keep posting man! For a moment there I thought the best side won - but nah, it was just the most numerous. /images/graemlins/cool.gif It's a small comfort admittedly, but it'll do while we rest for the battles ahead.

"You believe the bible is a phony book."

He didn't say that. You didn't get it.

"The 3 Major fundamental religions all believe in the same God. Jew's, Christians, Muslims all believe in the same power although their belief's about how to live our lives are fundamentally different (There are smaller religions such as buddhism and asian/african sects)."

You have learned a basic li'l something about monotheism, and it shows, but a little knowledge can be a hilarious thing! (Those are no "sects", brother, by the way. You are confused with American cults.) As to Buddhism being "small", how do you measure size, by number of faithful? Have you ever counted the Chinese population? See how silly you are? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

" Jew's dont believe in Jesus, Muslims beleive in Mohammad-- Who also believed in Jesus."

The Prophet of Islam considered Jesus to have been a prophet, one among many, and certtainly not "the Son of God". Muslims also believe Abraham existed. (I don't. /images/graemlins/cool.gif)

"That said there are only 3 Major Biblical books- The Old Testament, New Testament, and the Koran."

The above is an idiotic statement. I'll let you figure out why on your own.

"Most Christians don't think homosexual's are evil, nobody ever said that. We want to preserve the tradition of marriage as it's been this way for thousands of years."

Baby, if you feel Marriage (or any marriage) is threatened by two people (or one man and one horse, or whatever) declaring that they are partners for life, then this does not bode well for Marriage -- or your marriage!

"The bible is a "real" book whether you like it or not, it WAS written 2000 years ago."

The above is an idiotic statement, as well. I will allow you to replace the word "written" with a hundred-word elaboration about the origins of the different versions of the Testaments and how the various Christian Churches (there's not one single Christian Church, ya gimp) view each of 'em.

Are you able to do that?

"Most historians use the bible to re-create the time-line from pax romana in the roman period, because historians such as Polybius and Vegetius were either pre-pax romana or mid-antiquities."

Bullcrap. There has not been one serious historian who relied seriously on the bible to get or verify historical facts. Most serious historians (except for those on a Christian "mission") have ignored the book and treat it for what it is, a collection of ancient wisdom, tales, myths and propaganda.

Nonetheless, the Bible, as we have come to collectively call those writings, has enormous merit. It's not supposed to dictate how one lives, that's all. It's of historical value mostly, because human morality has left the Bible behind. (Example: there is nothing about freedom of ideas.)

"This is the politics forum, not the religion forum."

More bullcrap.

The GOP is profusely grateful to the Christian Right for getting out the vote on Tuesday. You think religious matters are not political? Well, then, keep posting, you are letting us experience some seriously W00lly thinking in action. Muchas gracias.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

arabie
11-04-2004, 03:41 AM
Firstly, you've got to stop calling people idiots if you want to continue conducting educated debates. Secondly, did the Jews not get slauthered by Peter's army when leaving Europe? Let's not forget what happened when they arrived in Jeruselem->Moslems in the Dome, or Jews in their Synagogue, all were killed without regard.

arabie
11-04-2004, 03:45 AM
good post

nicky g
11-04-2004, 06:11 AM
"You people are [censored] idiots. Seriously I said MAJOR, MAJOR RELIGIONS. Followers of Buddha and minor Asian sects are not nearly as large as the 3 major fundamental religions."

Mwahahah! Priceless!

BusterStacks
11-04-2004, 06:30 AM
"Every civilization has it's holy book" just about sums it for why Christianity even exists. Psychologically, humans are born to question their origins, yet it is the human arrogance that forces Christians to dismiss evolution in the face of overwhelming evidence. When dealing with any religious sort, it is best to just nod and smile, maybe even applaude them for exemplifying flaws in the human brain. Truth be told, all religions are this way, I just go out of my way to berate Christians for self-righteousness and exclusionary mindset.

One more thing; as far as scientists who believe in god, sure there are exceptions to every rule. I think the real point is the fact that as you go up the intelligence ladder, you will find a lesser percentage of people willing to wholeheartedly accept something so important as a spiritual doctrine based on someone else's rules and zero evidence.

Shoe
11-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Actually, you guys would be surprised about how accurate the bible is. Just about everything that can be proven historically, has shown the accounts in the Bible to be accurate. Obviously, any miracles and what not cannot be proven.

El Barto
11-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Hey, religion threads belong in the Psychology forum and must be started by David Sklansky. Thats the offical rule.