PDA

View Full Version : Stud/8: 3rd St Fold

12-11-2001, 05:36 PM
Playing HiLo stud/8 or better on PP. Call them a typical bunch of players; didn't know too much about the table when I sat down.

The 2h brings in, 8d folds, 5h raises. I fold Ad8s/5d, with the 9h, 2s, 9s and bring-in behind me. Any problems with that?

I wasn't sure. I didn't like the 8, but a two flush with an ace and only 2 of my low cards gone did make me think.

All comments appreciated.

G

12-11-2001, 09:43 PM
PP=Paradise? Planet? Party?

Anyway, I think that might be just a tad too tight for online stud/8. I'd call, and if I catch a little diamond I will be glad I did.

Most of the online stud/8 games have relatively high antes, so if you're playing this tight you're probably losing profits.

TRLS

12-12-2001, 04:24 AM
Well Lin Sherman, I couldn't agree with you less.

What Graham holds here is called a trash hand. Not only is it not playable for a raise, it is not playable for a limp. NEVER draw at an 8 unless you are the sole low draw, against at least 2 (preferably 3 or more) high hands. Other than being the sole low draw, you must have 3 suited low cards, AA8, or 888 to be playing hands with an 8 in them.

But in this case I would throw this crap away without thinking anything of it. But hey I'm only running at 6.7 Big bets an hour on Paradise 7 stud 8 games, so what do i know.

12-12-2001, 05:37 AM
Do you squeak when you walk? /images/wink.gif

Ray Zee puts this hand in Category 11 (I looked it up). That's marginably playable. Ray might not consider it playable in the circumstances Graham described, but the Paradise games are so soft (at least the ones I've played in) that I would have a lot of trouble passing it up when I can see 4th for no more than a small bet.

If you do play hands like this, they will add a lot to your variance, so that's another reason not to play them if you just want to grind out a profit.

TRLS

12-12-2001, 07:08 AM
I'm looking at that section right now in Rays Book. I don't see the part where it says best played in raised multiway pots, where many low cards are dead, and you have poor position in relation to the raiser. But they may be in the new edition...

12-12-2001, 09:36 AM
It was Paradise. The antes an eighth of a SB.

I kind of regretted not playing the hand. As usual, most of the other players were playing their normal mix of half decent/half funky hands - and often going too far (although that could work against me if I catch good and get outdrawn for low). It had a lot going for it - except that damn 8.

Thanks for the comments.

G

12-12-2001, 12:30 PM
three cards to and eight isnt very good but here you have an ace and a two flush. you have only one player in and dead cards around. it looks like you may get it head up with the five if you reraise. thats what i would do here. even if it doesnt work you still have a good hand. this hand is about equal to the better hands that the five would raise with and better than the rest. headup its almost equal to 4,5,6. or two kings. plus you are fighting for the antes and bring in. another plus is that i suppose you play better than them so you get to outplay the others on the hand. and your eight is buried. you must play this hand.

12-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Once again I suck.

12-12-2001, 03:45 PM
Well, I just partly suck, then.

I ditched the hand 'cos of the 8.

Make it a 7 and I've reraised already. Just one of those nagging ones; maybe I'm worrying about 8's too much

12-12-2001, 06:05 PM
In the games i play in most of the time someone raises with a 5 up they have one of the following hands. 555 (though would usually just call), AA5, Ax5, and on occasion KK5, QQ5, or 345.

The AA5 and Ax5 are by far the most commmon hands therefore i would consider myself well behind in the majority of cases. Agaisnt these hands, Ax8 gets sccoped rather than being the scooper.

12-12-2001, 08:09 PM
actually ax8 does fine against ax5. see it makes a pair of eights often enough to beat out the high for the ax5 and scoops when ax5 fails to make a better low. the two hands run close headup.

also im talking about this particular hand with the up cards we saw. not in the case where there are lots of scare cards behind you and someone raises where he must have a big hand.

12-13-2001, 09:41 PM
That squeaking noise you are constantly hearing isn't Mr. Peterson walking, it's the chips squeaking as he drags down the pots. I've played against him, I know.

12-13-2001, 09:58 PM
I dealt out about 100 hands of As5s8 vs. A45o with the dead cards from the board out of the deck. It was about 40% splits, with the A45 ahead of the A58 by about 5 to 3 on sweeps.

If anyone has a s/8 simulator, I would be curious of how the results match my small sample.

12-14-2001, 11:16 AM
aka,

You need to get some software.

Thanks for the info, though.

G

12-15-2001, 07:43 PM
I've done a simulation (albiet a pretty crap one on my own program) and while mathematically the hands run reasonably close (A25o had won 59%, over As5s8, splits averaged out) the real disadvantage A58 faces is when both hands catch good (any low card) on 4th. Then A58 runs at a large dog, losing 72% of the money. It's large deficit for low is not compensated for by it's minimal edge for high.

You guys play what you want, and Ray Zee can play anything and win handsomely hes that good, but as i play mainly online, i will stick to strong precentage poker, and outplay people when they show weakness, not strength.