PDA

View Full Version : Mason, how do you hold

12-11-2001, 09:28 AM
and look at your stud hands? What do you do when the river card comes? How do you look at your openers? Seems like a silly question, but I am curious. I think I'm giving away too much information by the way I'm doing it. Been playing a lot of 20/40 stud in AC and am having the best success of my life, just trying to capatilize on it any way I can. Regards

Dan

12-11-2001, 10:35 AM
I think if you're making money at stud then you must be fairly good at remembering cards. Just look at your hole cards after they are dealt. No need to go back to them. You just give too much information away by doing that. You gotta be consistant in everything but your betting patterns, and the best way to be that is to never alter your seemingly innocuous habits.

There's a player in one of my home games who's been trying to emulate me by only looking at his hole cards once, when they're dealt. Trouble is, he loses his confidence when strong str8 or flush possibilities appear on his board. He gives more information now when he peeks only occaissionally than he ever did before. And when he's made, he doesn't even bother looking at seventh street.

You can either practise this by dealing out endless hands to yourself, or buy the Wilson 7C Stud software. There is a feature on that which allows you to hide the cards. It doesn't take more than a few hundred hands of determined practice before it becomes second nature.

Keep in mind this it what works for me. It might not work so well for other people.

12-11-2001, 04:46 PM
Either look at your hole cards every round, for the same amount of time, or only look at them once when they are first dealt. Try to be consistent so you're not giving something away.

And don't "hold" them. Leave them face down on the table and lift the corners to look at them. You know that already, but I'll mention it for any newbies who might be lurking.

TRLS

12-11-2001, 05:02 PM
Hello,Lin,

If one looks at the corners and never puts the cards down flat during the entire play ,will he then be giving away too much info.?

Sitting Bull

12-11-2001, 08:07 PM
Having that success at 20-40 stud games in Atlantic City you don't need any suggestion on this, IMO, marginal problem.

Generally, it's better to look at own cards just one time not because you give much information when you look them numerous times but because you can lose important informations about other opponents' tells.

Marco

12-11-2001, 09:44 PM
Hi SB!

No but he might be putting a permanent bend in the cards!

TRLS

12-12-2001, 09:05 AM
Maybe your right. Maybe I'm just bein a little paranoid. But I'd still like to know how Mason holds and looks at his cards.

Dan

12-12-2001, 11:56 AM
I usually wait until it is my turn before I look at my cards. This means I have to already be aware of what's been dealt to the other players. I then put them down and try not to look at them again.

However, unless you are a very experienced player I suggest you do the opposite. That is look at your cards when you first receive them. This will give you more time for hose tougher situations where you may not instantly know what to do.

12-14-2001, 08:28 AM