PDA

View Full Version : Randy Jensen--Paul Philips Monte Carlo challenge

Randy Jensen
11-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Just for the fun of it I would like to make a public challenge to Paul for the Monte Carle Millions tournament. This will solve the battle between the math type players (Paul) and the "feel" players (myself). Whoever has the highest finish will win the princely sum of $100 from the other. But they have to go on record on 2+2 as admitting that the others playing style is superior. And what the heck, they even have to admit that the other is the better poker player. Well pretty boy Philips, are you up to the challenge?

Randy

lastchance
11-03-2004, 11:25 PM
I'd love to see the results myself.

bads33d
11-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Wow, does anybody have anything better to do than to mention paul phillips in every thread.

What does one tournament prove anyway?

ClaytonN
11-04-2004, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But they have to go on record on 2+2 as admitting that the others playing style is superior. And what the heck, they even have to admit that the other is the better poker player. Well pretty boy Philips, are you up to the challenge?

[/ QUOTE ]

*laugh

Randy Jensen
11-04-2004, 12:05 AM
I guess that you didn't hear. Paul has decided to be a philanthropist. Every time his name is mentioned or dropped in a thread online, he has pledged to donate 10 cents to the Sklansky/Lepore Retirement Home for The Mathematically incompetent. I am just attempting to do my part.

busguy
11-04-2004, 01:18 AM
I saw you play the other day on TV.

I'll put a $100 on the "pretty boy"

/images/graemlins/wink.gif busguy

DKNY
11-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Been there, done that. You, Vince and Cris can play Scrabble with Paul after the tourney for bubble gum.

wray
11-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Randy, I don't know how many tournaments you play in a year. But wouldn't it be more worth while to do it over a span of 10 - 20 tournaments.

Smoothcall
11-05-2004, 08:20 AM
I'd have to take Paul i saw you on one broadcast and you were horrible no offense just stating facts. Lepore would beat you too. Actually Paul is a pretty good player even though i give him some heat. He makes mistakes but is a hall o f famer compared to you.

MaxPower
11-05-2004, 01:25 PM
The fact that you think this will solve the battle between the math type players and the feel players, makes it clear why you are not a math type player.

I did enjoy watching you play on the WPT even though you were a tiny bit obnoxious.

Good luck in the tournament.

Chaostracize
11-05-2004, 03:34 PM
No way man. Randy is the "Dream Crusher". I heard Mike Sexton himself say it.

I agre that one tournament won't mean anything though. I'm sure Paul would be just as inclined to play Randy heads up and declare the one-time winner as having the supreme playing strategy as do this.

Regardless, if Paul declines this challenge. All his dreams will be crushed!!!

Vince Lepore
11-06-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky/Lepore Retirement Home for The Mathematically incompetent

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jensen, did you put my name in here beacause you have a slime bucket personality or are you just a rude scumbag? Maybe both, who knows?

Lepore

SCfuji
11-06-2004, 08:19 PM
i agree. better yet, why don't you and 9 other willing poker players pony up $5,000 and whomever wins or is the highest ranked on the "player of the year" award will get all the cash.

Vince Lepore
11-06-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way man. Randy is the "Dream Crusher".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! After all this Randy character ie THREE (3)(300 percent) times (x) (*) better than the average player! He da man!

Vince /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MoreReady
11-06-2004, 10:35 PM
I think Paul should be forced to play the chicken in a tic-tac-toe game. If the chicken wins, he or she (is there a such a thing as a male chicken) gets a seat at the 2005 WSOP.

Paul if you read this...I enjoy your posts and blog.

Take it easy.

Cooker
11-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Chickens are both male and female. Females are hens, males are roosters. They are all chickens.

aaronjacobg
11-07-2004, 02:00 AM
POTY is just the WSOP. It is not a real thing, just a gimic for chevrolet or whatever type of car was sponsoring it.

Jake

SCfuji
11-07-2004, 02:50 AM
we should create a forum for keeping track of how these players do at all the tournaments, big and small, and rank them... somehow.

aaronjacobg
11-07-2004, 12:12 PM
I think that this is a good idea. It would greatly increase poster information and cut down on speculation. Maybe not a forum but just a chart. I'm terrible w/ technology and i am sure that much of this would take intense math but we know we got some math folks on here. So here's the idea. we make a formula for player ranking system taking into account size of tourny, quality of field, etc. and follow top pros as well as up and comers. I think i might make a separate post about this. Good idea.

Jake

shaniac
11-07-2004, 08:20 PM
No offense, but this has got to be the lamest challenge ever.

I think your premise is way off, the fact that one tournament wouldn't be enough to prove anything notwithstanding.

I don't think Paul has ever claimed to be--or comes off as--a "math guy." If I missed something, please let me know. Just because he understands math doesn't mean he uses it as his primary path to tournament success.

Also, $100? Aren't you a big-ballin-gamblin-type-of-dude? Making it interesting man!

I haven't sifted through this entire thread yet, so forgive me if anything I said has already been covered.

Shane

Jsb
11-08-2004, 03:28 AM
toyota. unfortnately i don't think i'll ever forget that. good marketing, i guess, gotta hand that to them. i didn't have the tivo up and running yet at that point. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

felson
11-08-2004, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chickens are both male and female. Females are hens, males are roosters. They are all chickens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the sudden craving for a marble rye (http://tinyurl.com/6u3d6).

SCfuji
11-08-2004, 06:34 AM
lets take a bit out of the Simpsons. something along the lines of playing cards for an 8 hour session in your wife/girlfriend's sunday church dress complete with hat and high heels.

Randy Jensen
11-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Hey Vince,

I guess I am just a rude arsehole. Fortunately it is a preferable thing to be, compared to someone who is so anal that they can't even see something as a joke. It wasn't even an insult in any way.

Have fun bud,

Randy

Randy Jensen
11-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Well I am back from Monte Carlo, and would love to rub it in that I am the far superior player to Paul Phillips, but here is how the story went.
Somewhere into level 3 or 4 I raise to 1000, Paul is directly to my right and he raises me up to 3k to go. It gets back to me and with the 4500ish chips in the pot it is to me an easy mathematical call. Not many hands are 2-1 and I am getting over 2 to 1 on the call. I have 3,4 of hearts.
Flop comes out 5,6,hearts and K. I bet 5k of maybe 15k stack. It should tell him I am committed. He raises all in for about 7 k more. I call turn a blank river K hearts.
I guess I am the best.
Unfortunately for me we had cross booked or total results in the tourny. Phil Ivey and I were always the 2 chip leaders for almost all of day 1 , But I was stupid and blew off about 90k to Juha Helpi . I play like an ass sometimes. Ended up going ot 34th.

Great tourny though, and I got a "I put a bad beat on Paul Phillips " chip. I dont think its a bad beat. AK vs. 34h....we all know who will win that matchup the most.

Randy

emil3000
11-14-2004, 08:19 PM
It's hard when you're not a serious person, and everyone takes you seriously. I know, I'm a med student, I hang around violently humourless persons all day. And I'm an ironic insulting fellow, I need to be understood, otherwise I'll be way hated. It's really hard to live.

My point is I know how you feel.

Vince Lepore
11-14-2004, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
compared to someone who is so anal that they can't even see something as a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anal this. Maybe you weren't following the threads that I posted here. Of course if that were true there would be no reason for you to mention my name at all. I'm not anal and I have a great sense of humor, just ask me. So either you were insulting me or patronizing pp with your silly remarks. Either way "arsehole" (your word not mine) might just fit you. Thanks for the observation.

Vince

Vince Lepore
11-14-2004, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an ironic insulting fellow

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you think too highly of yourself.

Vince

jontsef
11-15-2004, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
POTY is just the WSOP. It is not a real thing, just a gimic for chevrolet or whatever type of car was sponsoring it.

Jake

[/ QUOTE ]

Toyota sponsored the POTY at the WSOP but it just accounted for WSOP results. Card Player magazine has their own Player of The Year list which accounts for most tournaments and every year they've been improving the formula to rank the players. I think they've had it since 97. You can view the CardPlayer POTY list at http://www.cardplayer.com/player_of_the_year/

emil3000
11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you think too highly of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I think too highly of myself, I'm a poker player.

Vince Lepore
11-16-2004, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a poker player

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you are!

Vince

Paul Phillips
11-16-2004, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Somewhere into level 3 or 4 I raise to 1000, Paul is directly to my right and he raises me up to 3k to go. It gets back to me and with the 4500ish chips in the pot it is to me an easy mathematical call. Not many hands are 2-1 and I am getting over 2 to 1 on the call. I have 3,4 of hearts.
Flop comes out 5,6,hearts and K. I bet 5k of maybe 15k stack. It should tell him I am committed. He raises all in for about 7 k more. I call turn a blank river K hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to get the facts straight here (not that you're way off) the blinds were 100-200/25 and randy made it 1000 to go. I made it 3000 from his immediate left with AsKs and he called. I only had 11200 left after the preflop raise.

Flop was A56 with the 56 of hearts. He bet 5000 and I knew he must be coming with whatever he had but there's no way to lay this down against randy, or most anyone else for that matter. I didn't think just calling could change anything so in the money went. 8 of diamonds on the turn, K of hearts on the river.

The flop decision would have been a lot more interesting for me if I had KK or QQ.

I don't fault this hand for busting me though, as I had already misplayed two hands and should have had more chips. Most importantly, one time randy raised with AK, I called with 22, and the flop came K72 rainbow. I made the stone minimum.

West
11-16-2004, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly, one time randy raised with AK, I called with 22, and the flop came K72 rainbow. I made the stone minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind sharing how the betting went on this one?