PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8 starters

12-09-2001, 01:55 PM
Would it be profitable to play any four cards 9 or higher and just go for high. I'm tired if being quartered with low hands. I seen a post on pot-limit omaha high hands for beginners and it said play 4 cards 9 and higher. Just wondering if this work for omaha8 games???

12-09-2001, 02:03 PM
If I had to sum it up in one sentence I would say you can play such hands if you think it will not be too expensive to see the flop, and it will be multi-way after the flop.

But don't go thinking that all hands with 4 cards 9 or higher are the same. AKJT with a suited ace is far far better than 99QK unsuited. The advice above relates to the better big-card hands.

Oh no!! Not again!

12-09-2001, 09:45 PM
Would it be profitable to play any four cards 9 or higher and just go for high

No, it wouldn't. May be less stressful in that you wouldn't get quartered, but I think you'd be screaming "Bad beat" a lot more than you might now. Your two pairs and sets will be taken out a lot of the time. Plus the others at the table will be in no doubt about the direction you're taking after a while.

12-09-2001, 10:06 PM
if you are getting quartered in multiway pots you are still making money probably. if you are getting quartered and losing you are not choosing your hands well. by your post i think you may not have read any good books on the subject.

starting hands for all poker games vary with many variables.:)

12-10-2001, 01:47 AM
Ray, I have 3 questions regarding O/8 starting hands:

1) I tend to play quite a bit tighter in the blinds in O/8 than in Hold'em (I'm not talking about defending possible steals here; just normal multiway pots). Is this correct?

2) I've read and heard that in O/8 the good player will play more hands than he will play in Hold'em. Well, I do not find that I can play as many hands in O/8 as I can in Hold'em. It just seems harder to get dealt 4 good cards than 2 good cards. Also, position seems to mean less in O/8, so I can't jack around as much in late position. Is it correct to play less hands in a ring game in O/8 than in Hold'em?

3) In a recent article by Badger, he advocated playing Ad Qd 8d 8c on the button in what was maybe a 6-way pot (I forget the exact number but I don't think it's a big deal). I wanted to puke. I would only put another chip in with that hand if I were in the small blind and had lots of callers, and even then I wouldn't like it much. Who's right here?

Thank you, Ray.

12-10-2001, 02:05 AM
driftaway&M two nice post in the quest for o/8 ptofitablity.

12-10-2001, 03:23 AM
1)in multiway yes for sure

2)i would play less hands especially in an aggressive game.

3) no comment

12-10-2001, 05:37 AM
Mark,

Regarding question 3), there is more to it than what you read in the article by Steve Badger. Below is a link to the lead post in the RGP thread I found using Google's newsgroup search. It was started by Lee Munzer where he limped UTG with the suited AQ88 hand! I was first in with a response (obviously thinking Lee was out of his mind) and Badger followed me indicating ... well read the thread for yourself /images/biggrin.gif

Regards,

Rick

12-10-2001, 05:40 AM
Ray,

Regarding your "no comment" on question three, you may want to check out the link in my post below and see if you can continue to restrain yourself.

Regards,

Rick

12-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Rick.

To answer Badger's question of what cards can you shove into 5 other hands that aren't worse than this holding, let's try giving 3 other players suited aces with better side cards than 88. Now let's give a player a big pair with high cards, say KKJT, and the last player can have a bunch of low wrap cards. Now that AdQd8d8s is the worst holding by far, isn't it?

I didn't bring this up to pick on Badger. When I used to play O/8 a lot it seemed like I sometimes sat forever hardly playing a hand. So I just wanted to be sure I wasn't playing too tight...yes my first reaction was gag me with a spoon when I read the example in Badger's article, but I also questioned myself a bit. After all, the slow pace of the game and some previous threads where people were saying you play more hands in O/8 than in Hold'em...I would never consider this UTG period, but it made me wonder just a little if just maybe it could be OK on the button after lots of limpers. I still don't really think so but I am wondering if it might be a little close or if it is just the almost pure dogmeat hand it looks like to me.