PDA

View Full Version : Has Dr. chesspain become Dr. Evil?

chesspain
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
A fairly new SS poster with a growing number of posts to his name referred to me in two different PMs this morning as an a-hole for my allegedly snide and mean-spirited attacks in open forum in response to some of his recent posts. At various times, other posters have made references to my sarcasm, although I usually only consciously become mean-spirited when dealing with posters whom I perceive to be overly arrogant and/or incompetent to be giving advice.

Piiop
11-03-2004, 08:47 PM
I want to vote for both "He is probably nicer and more considerate than most of the regular SS posters." and "This complainant is just a wussie-boy."

spamuell
11-03-2004, 08:48 PM
I can think of dozens of more obnoxious posters than you.

You're one of the best posters in this forum, and if anyone thinks that you're not because you can be a little sarcastic at times, they are offended to easily and should be banned from life.

Danenania
11-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I voted "probably nicer". I can't even recall a time when you have been that sarcastic at all. I guess there must be a few but I read pretty much every post in SS and I only ever see you helpfully contributing good information. I wouldn't let this bother you.

mikeyKay
you are an excellent poster, keep up the good work. sometimes people need to be torn apart to be built back up, it builds character. although advice may be mean at times, it is meant to make people better players. people should try to learn something from it, instead of complaining about it.

-mike

Michael Davis
"A fairly new SS poster with a growing number of posts to his name referred to me in two different PMs this morning as an a-hole for my allegedly snide and mean-spirited attacks in open forum in response to some of his recent posts."

Who cares? Don't respond to his posts anymore. If he doesn't want advice, don't give it to him.

-Michael

chesspain
11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who cares? Don't respond to his posts anymore. If he doesn't want advice, don't give it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, although I still believe that we all have the responsibility to respond to posts in which the poster may be giving incorrect/poor advice to others. And it was these "correction posts" that seemed to rile up this individual.

Entity
11-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Personally, I think the correction posts are far more important than the advice itself (which is usually solid). I know when I give poor advice, I'd certainly like to be corrected (and have been, in the past [and will be, in the future]). How terse you are really depends on how wrong my advice was and how much of an ass I was in my original post, I'd hope.

All of the posts I've seen from you have been sufficiently sarcastic, without being too much so.

Rob

spamuell
11-03-2004, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still believe that we all have the responsibility to respond to posts in which the poster may be giving incorrect/poor advice to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he thinks you're an a-hole anyway, who is it?

thirddan
11-03-2004, 09:03 PM
this poster most likely doesn't understand poker very well and isn't willing to accept that he might not be correct in everything that he posts. I think that the best way to learn here is when someone reads your post, says "that is terrible" and then corrects you direct and to point. Many of the players that have improved because of the forums say that it was the direct harsh posts that they learned the most frop...Pull no punches...

helpmeout
11-03-2004, 09:20 PM
- Dont care

I'm here to become better at poker not be involved in the dramas of the forum.

spamuell
11-03-2004, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- Dont care

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you're that guy who gives everyone an evil when they talk in class, with the occasional hissed, "shh, I'm here to learn."

thirddan
11-03-2004, 09:27 PM
haha, i went to school because my parents made me, i come to 2+2 to learn /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

private joker
11-03-2004, 09:27 PM
I agree that anyone who refuses advice has no business being on this forum. It's also a no-brainer that anyone who thinks they have nothing to learn about poker has no business being on this forum. Personally, I've come here to both give and take advice (hopefully, taking from those far better than me and giving to those less experienced) and I love the level of discourse on 2+2.

That said, I think we can all learn lessons in civility from time to time. There are few egos larger than poker players' egos. Just ask Mike Matusow. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Redeye
11-03-2004, 09:49 PM
I am someone who has lurked around 2+2 for a few months and more recently have decided to try and get more involved. In the beginning, I tried posting some hands, which I found helpful to the development of my game. More recently I've realized that in addition to posting some of my hands, it's very useful to get involved in others and try and give some advice. As a new poster, I would not only expect others to point out any bad advice I would give, but would hope the more experienced players would take the time to point out any bad advice I might give.

I am starting to see that many of the regular posters have gotten into heated debates in the past concerning certain hands and poker concepts. Wheather they were able to argue that their point of view was correct or wheather they ended up arguing the wrong side of an issue, I believe that the act of arguing, or having to explain ones view does more to aid in learning than just having people respond to hands that are posted.

I am a graduate student, and I've found that the majority of times I find myself learning (when I'm not internetting) something is when I have to argue, correctly or incorrectly, on a particular issue. If this poster has a problem with your critiquing of his advice, then he is not here to learn by what I believe is the most effective means. I have found many of your arguments and criticisms to be quite helpful, so please don't change a thing. And if you see me posting some bad adice, please feel free to set me straight!

Edit: BTW, I did vote for the arrogant on "accident" to keep you honest...sorry. (Smiley face)

cnfuzzd
11-03-2004, 11:29 PM
As someone who made a comment about this recently, i just want to state publicly that i was joking. I have always found chesspains use of sarcasm and abrasiveness to go along quite well with the advice being dispensed. As someone who has been on the recieving end of such once or twice (or about a thousand times) i can honestly say that i am a better poker "player" and poker "thinker" because of chesspain. Please, continue posting in whatever manner you deem neccesary.

And, that post i was responding to a couple of days ago was [censored] hilarious.

peace

john nickle

sthief09
11-03-2004, 11:35 PM
I used to find you arrogant and obnoxious at times. I think you've toned that down a lot, but it's hard to not be obnoxious toward people who you just want to go away, so I don't fault you. I didn't read the thread you're referring to, but I don't doubt that he deserved whatever you wrote. I'm guilty of this all the time. stupidity just pisses me off

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Only a psychologist would ask...

FWIW, your concern itself likely rules out any Axis II pathology.

chesspain
11-03-2004, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, your concern itself likely rules out any Axis II pathology.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only the faculty members during my graduate school tenure would have shared your views...

IndieMatty
11-04-2004, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
- Dont care

[/ QUOTE ]

I know when I don't care about something, I like to interject myself right into the belly of the discussion.

bisonbison
11-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Sarcasm is Prometheus's gift to the internet. Without it, sure, no one gets burned, but you can't seeshit.

BottlesOf
11-04-2004, 01:02 AM
I am so [censored] sick of new people complaining about mean/cynical/sarcastic posts.

You know what people? Shut the [censored] up! If someone pokes a little fun at you, just deal with it. You can learn a great deal here. If you just take some lumps and keep posting, I promise you, you'll become a better player.

Stop telling us the rules of decorum when you have just 46 posts.

MarkD
11-04-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, everyone knows you need 47 posts before you can dictate the urles of decorum on this forum! For fucks sake people!

Monty Cantsin
11-04-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sarcasm is Prometheus's gift to the internet. Without it, sure, no one gets burned, but you can't see shit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had to bump this. Awesome.

/mc

MAxx
11-04-2004, 12:22 PM
i enjoy the tough love envirement. sarcasm and abrasiveness are usefull teaching tools, expecially for semi-hardheaded egomaniac poker players. if their skin isnt thick enough, f-em... we still get a laugh. those of us that make tough comments, gotta expect to receive as well. there should not be any crying about this.

sfer
11-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one who found humor in someone calling for more civility on this forum going out of their way to PM a longtime poster to call them an [censored]? Irony? Pot/kettle/black?

asofel
11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am so [censored] sick of new people complaining about mean/cynical/sarcastic posts.

You know what people? Shut the [censored] up! If someone pokes a little fun at you, just deal with it. You can learn a great deal here. If you just take some lumps and keep posting, I promise you, you'll become a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

dammit...and here i was ready to let fly with the bs...

good post though JBB...I don't post much, but have been reading for a little while now, and have always had the attitude of "search for your answer first, think about it second, post if its worthwhile and stfu if you get a reply you don't like", especially when going to a new forum/site/whatever.
there's a huge difference from unprovoked, unneccessary, and generally out of line insulting, and good, concise, criticism.
As someone pointed out in another post, a poster said "I think I have great post-flop play....but I don't count outs"
At first I laughed and really wanted to say something, but the person clarified what he meant...if he hadn't though, I don't think he could say much if someone rightfully ribbed on him for that...