PDA

View Full Version : Any way not to lose your chips here?

Jackal
11-03-2004, 08:02 PM
5th hand of a 60 person tourney. Blinds are 100-200 and obviously everyone has about equal stacks. (~$5000)

I get 88 one off the button, 1 limper to me, i double the blind, button calls, BB calls, limper calls. ($1700 in pot)

Flop comes: Kd, 10s, 8d

BB bets $200, limper calls, i raise to $1200, button calls, BB folds, limper folds. ($4500 in pot)

Turn: 4s

I go all-in for another $3500 or so, button calls.

He turns over KK and the river is a blank.

Did i play too aggressively or is this just bad luck of 2 people flopping a set? I realize this was only the 5th hand of the tournament but part of the reason i was so aggressive (other than being worried about the flush draw) is because the blinds in this tourney double every 20 min, so they catch up very quick. I'm not sure how i could have gotten away from this hand. Any comments welcome.

Jackarama_
11-03-2004, 08:07 PM
just bad luck imo

Chief911
11-03-2004, 08:26 PM
I'll pretty much get it all in here 99% of the, unless I have some fabulous read on the other guy and know he's got me beat.

Nick

Jackal
11-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah, that was part of the issue. Never seen this guy before and it was only the 5th hand. I certainly didn't think he had KK as i thought he'd re-raise me post-flop if not pre-flop.

SossMan
11-03-2004, 08:40 PM
I've been playing for 5 years and I can count the number of set over set on the flop on one hand...without my thumb.

by the way, what's the point of the miniraise preflop after a limper? I don't get that.

Scooterdoo
11-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Probably not. Of course you could have slowed down and checked the turn and assuming he decided to slowplay the set on 4th street and a third of the suit came on the river you both might have been too scared to bet the river! Of course this is unlikely AND you needed to make him pay to see the last card assuming he was on a drawing handso your bet was good. It happens.

Jackal
11-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, the min raise was pretty weak but it was mostly just to get complete trash out and get the pot a little bigger in case i flopped a set. (ironic) I guess if i had raised bigger pre-flop and he re-raised me, i might have got away from it.

I thought about checking the turn but i was worried about the multiple draws out there. I really did think he was on a diamond draw.

ThingDo
11-03-2004, 10:48 PM
After the flop there is no way you should be folding this hand. Before the flop your raise was v. weak. It really doesn't accomplish that much IMO.

Iconoclastic
11-04-2004, 12:59 AM
This one MTT I played there were two flops where two people made sets.

srblan
11-04-2004, 04:27 AM
You're going to go broke here, there's really no way around it. The only thing that could have been done better is making a bigger raise because doubling the blind is not always enough to take down a pot and you might end up throwing away the best hand a lot of the time if overcards hit and you haven't flopped a set.