PDA

View Full Version : Hand that can't stand a re-raise, UTG, awkward stack

ilya
11-03-2004, 07:18 PM
What line do y'all favor in spots like this?
The blinds are not going up for a while.

***** Hand History for Game 1135453444 *****
NL Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:6937606 Level:3 Blinds(25/50) - Wednesday, November 03, 18:11:26 EDT 2004
Table Table 13813 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: rspitzer ( $1325 )
Seat 5: Bstudder ( $1735 )
Seat 7: crazcookye ( $3105 )
Seat 9: mrzarembsky ( $615 )
Seat 10: RoyBiggins ( $1220 )
Trny:6937606 Level:3
Blinds(25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mrzarembsky [ Jh Ad ]

Dominic
11-03-2004, 08:10 PM
limp and fold to a raise if the table is overly aggressive...if the table is overly passive, I think you have to raise here or even push...you're have just over 12BB...it's time to make a move...

but I do think it's a little waek tight to fold this one...I like limping the best of all options...

tigerite
11-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah, you definitely can't fold AJo when it's down to 5 players and you're short stack. Even UTG. I would probably push simply because the blinds, although they won't go up for a while, are about to eat 1.5BB off my stack, and leave me perilously close to the 10BB level. You at least have "some" folding equity with almost 12BB that you have now. Limping is an option, but I don't like this here, because you'll have to fold to a re-raise or commit your whole stack - if you're going to do the latter, you may as well do it first. If you're not, then why waste 1BB and then definitely go below 10BB after the blinds.

Even on a passive table, the big stacks will probably see your limp as weakness with such a small stack, and re-raise you.. I know I would. (Even if they're wrong, after all, it barely affects their stack). So, I would say, this is a push. Very close one, though.

The other reason I dislike limping is you're going to be out of position on the flop to the blinds (even if everyone else folds, and they just complete/check, which is your best possible outcome). It will be truly horrible to play if there's no A or J on the board, because the blinds could have ANYTHING under the sun.

MrX
11-03-2004, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
limp and fold to a raise if the table is overly aggressive...if the table is overly passive, I think you have to raise here or even push...you're have just over 12BB...it's time to make a move...

but I do think it's a little waek tight to fold this one...I like limping the best of all options...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to fold this to a raise if the table is overaggressive???? If it is an overaggressive table and I limp I am planning on calling the reraise. If the table was passive then I may respect a reraise a little more. Remember this is a 5 handed table and the relative value of AJ is very high here.

The blinds are not too high yet, but our hero is short stacked. If he got all his chips in preflop here with one opponent it would not be bad at all.

My move totally depends on table dynamics too. I may 2.5x it to 125 which still leaves me with aboout a 10 BB stack. I may push, but doubt it. Or I limp and definately plan on calling any reraise all in.

MrX

lorinda
11-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I tend to push in this scenario.

I also tend to not like it.

Lori

willperkins
11-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Tough call in this situation. I do not like AJ under the gun with 5 people when the blinds are 25/50. I would want to either push or fold.
I do not like the idea of limping and wasting some of my precious chips when I'm out of position.
I would not want to push with the big stack sitting in the big blind, so I would probably fold and look for a better opportunity.

lastchance
11-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Raise to 2.5/3x BB. I don't like it, but don't do it with hands much worse or worse than AJ, do it with all your monsters, and I think it works.

lorinda
11-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Raise to 2.5/3x BB. I don't like it, but don't do it with hands much worse or worse than AJ, do it with all your monsters, and I think it works.

What is your plan if someone pushes?

Lori

lastchance
11-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Fold. Call if the guy's a maniac or I have something better than AJ. Hopefully I don't make this play enough for them to make a lot of money of pushing.