PDA

View Full Version : TPWK...on the turn...

thirddan
11-03-2004, 07:06 PM
3/6 Pacific 10 handed

No reads, third hand at table...

Hero is Button with A4s

Preflop: 3 limpers, Hero limps, SB raises, BB calls, all call...

Flop: K 6 3 rainbow
checked around

Turn: A
SB bets, folded to Hero who ???

Alobar
11-03-2004, 08:22 PM
6-1, HU, I call

thirddan
11-03-2004, 08:38 PM
and you are gonna call the river also? if so then the odds aren't 6-1...

what range of hands do you think would play this way?

Alobar
11-03-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and you are gonna call the river also? if so then the odds aren't 6-1...

what range of hands do you think would play this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

calling the river isnt automatic I dont think.

He could be playing lots of hands this way. Without a read its hard to say. The most likely hands that you beat are QQ on down, he didnt bet the flop cuz he was scared of the K so he bets the turn when the ace drops cuz it looks like he either just hit his hand, or whiffed on the checkraise. or just some suited/connected junk that didnt hit the flop and his turn bet is a bluff for the above mentioned reasons

Ritter
11-03-2004, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
folded to hero who???

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-raises to see how serious he is. Smells like an ownerless pot to me. Fold if he 3-bets. I think calling is the weakest option.

If he calls the re-raise and bets out...I'd probably let it go if I didn't catch a 4. And check through if he checks.

That's what I'd do, but I have no idea if I'm right.

thirddan
11-03-2004, 09:07 PM
the only thing i knew about the SB was that he had over $750 at a 3/6 table so he is probably carrying around his whole br, don't knwo if that affects your perception of him...It was pacific so no notes, and i ddin't recognize his handle...

I just can't think of many hands that i beat here: I only beat KQ/KQ/QQ/JJ/TT/99 but i lose to any bigger A/any set/AK...Given taht he was unknown i don't think many players will bet an underpair into the field with two overcards out...I folded...

thirddan
11-03-2004, 09:11 PM
what is the purpose of raising?

I can call down for 2 BB and get my showdown...raising costs 2BB and i may not even get past the turn...

This is a case where i am either smoked or i have him smoked, whoever has the best hand has the other drawing to probably 3 outs top so the river card doesn't really matter. I think that calling or folding are the only decent choices.

Azhrarn
11-03-2004, 09:30 PM
I fold.

It looks like he either flopped a monster and tried to slowplay, or he caught his top pair on the turn, in which case he has you outkicked.

If he was weak enough to check something like queens or jacks on the flop, I don't think he would bet the turn when an additional scare card showed up.

I suppose he could be playing the "utterly incoherent" style so favored by some players, but I don't think the pot's big enough to call down here.

slydeni
11-03-2004, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the purpose of raising?

This hand seems very intersting in that it seems there is a parity to our choices at the turn. I would be inclined to agree with Ritter - Raise.

They both cost 2 bets (if he doesn't 3-bet or bet on the river--- in both cases we fold if we dont hit a 4). BUT if we test his position and ask him what kindof strength he has we know where we stand a bit better. The big differnce I feel lies in the possibility of his folding upon our raise. Its not a huge possibility but there is one, and I think that pushes things in the direction of raising rather than calling.

all the best
sly

joker122
11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't think he has QQ-TT because if he checked the flop with one overcard, he's definitely not betting the turn with [/i]two[/i] overcards to his pair. I fold.

thirddan
11-03-2004, 09:44 PM
if he has a hand that he will fold to our raise, then most likely my hand is best. If my hand is then it is unlikely to be outdrawn on the river...If my hand is best and unlikely to be outdrawn don't i make more by just calling and having him bet the river so i can call twice? this way i win 2BB, rather the the 1BB i would win if i raise the turn and he folds...

joker122
11-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Raising is definitely the worst of the 3 options. Only worse hands will fold and only better hands will call or 3bet.