PDA

View Full Version : Nomar to #4???

M2d
11-03-2004, 06:45 PM
the Yankees could have two of the best shortstops in the game on their roster (no, they don't already have this) with neither one of them playing the position? As much as I hate to say it, I think it's time for a hard salary cap in baseball.

Evan
11-03-2004, 08:21 PM
is there actually talk about this?

M2d
11-03-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shortstop Nomar Garciaparra has told friends he would be open to a position change to either second base or third, which could open the way for the Yankees to pursue the free agent as a second baseman.
-- New York Daily News

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-03-2004, 09:21 PM
I think Nomar'd have a tough time with 2B

Sincere
11-03-2004, 09:29 PM
I played SS, 2B, and 3B in high school and I would have to say 2B is the easiest of the 3 positions so I would disagree.

Toro
11-03-2004, 09:47 PM
No arm should do well at 2nd.

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-03-2004, 10:59 PM
I disagree. He's too long-striding for the footwork at 2nd. He wasn't particularly adept at turning 2 from ss, so it'll take some work to learn to make the pivot. 2B is the most underappreciated position from a skill-set perspective. Easily the most complex footwork in the game.

John Gaspar
11-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Couldn't agree more. He will be a disaster at 2nd base. His footwork is atrocious and turning a double play without the benefit of coming across the bag will be a nightmare for him.

If he signed with the yankees, they'd be better off with Jeter at 2nd. I think he is more suited for a position change (I recognize they won't move Jeter if they didn't move him for ARod)

sublime
11-04-2004, 12:15 AM
nomar is not going to the NYY. for three reasons

#1 he does not like attention/media
#2 he does not like attention/media
#3 he does not like attention/media

oh yeah, and NY has better ways to spend thier money

this comes off the desk of a sportswriter who has NOTHING to write about currently and figures a story like this will do just fine. please note that neither nomar or his agent are quoted in this story

andyfox
11-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Jeter's fielding was much improved this year. His range factor was higher and I see he won the Gold Glove (although, of course, with A-Rod no longer at shortstop, it was that much easier to win).

My guess is that if Jeter moves anywhere, it might be to center field. If the Yankees replace Cairo, I'd rather see them get somebody with a high on-base percentage. Jeter is a good player, but he's not a great lead-off hitter. At one time, Jeter walked 92 times in a year; this year, he walked only about half that amount. Nomar is too free a swinger too.