PDA

View Full Version : odds of two players flopping a flush

boondockst
11-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm sure a lot of you folks play position and all that and i do to some extent, but if with only 3 hearts on the board and you have a flush with king and queen high, would you not be confident against someone else having Ace-X of that suit in their hand?

scandal
11-03-2004, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a lot of you folks play position and all that and i do to some extent, but if with only 3 hearts on the board and you have a flush with king and queen high, would you not be confident against someone else having Ace-X of that suit in their hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It turns out that if you've seen 5 cards of a suit (2 in your hand, and 3 on the board), the chance of another opponent also holding two of the same suit is pretty low (3% against a single opponent). You only have to start to worry when the fourth card of the suit falls on the turn or river that someone with a single higher card of that suit will make a higher flush.

finer analysis here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=probability&Number=1016839 &Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&M ain=1016839&Search=true&where=&Name=16922&daterang e=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post1016839)