PDA

View Full Version : Could Michael Moore Be a Bigger Scumbag?

Utah
11-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I just saw his protest mosaic and it is simply disgusting that he would use the pictures of the dead to make a political point - especially when so many of the dead would disagree with him.

I will never understand why the Democrats support him.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/

W00lygimp
11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
My hate list is as follows:
Michael Moore/Pittm
both are scumbags, just Michael moore is the more experienced scumbag.

jakethebake
11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Maybe, but he'd have to really work at it.

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:02 PM
whats the problem? is it the fact that there are enough dead to make a mosiac this large of the president?

benfranklin
11-03-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but he'd have to really work at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Practice makes perfect.

andyfox
11-03-2004, 06:09 PM
To me, the dead are a bigger problem than Moore's tastefulness (or lack thereof).

I thought the same thing about the brouhaha about Kerry's senate testimony. The fact that he said people told him about war crimes was more important than the alleged crimes themselves.

PITTM
11-03-2004, 06:11 PM
youre almost as affluent in hating people as you are in making conservative propaganda threads, keep up the good work!

rj

PITTM
11-03-2004, 06:17 PM
You realize that bush had a political ad showing the dead from 9/11 and how ridiculously hypocritical of you this thread is right?

rj

Utah
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
The ideas are not mutually exclusive.

The fact that an issue being discussed is a problem that needs addressing (e.g., the number of war dead) does not give the messanger free reign in the method used to deliver that message. One cannot say, "well, its okay because the issue he raises is important".

I have no problem with his position on the war. I just have a problem with the way he delivers his message. However, it is ironic that he is so concerned about the dead that he decides to show a complete lack of respect for them.

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, it is ironic that he is so concerned about the dead that he decides to show a complete lack of respect for them.

[/ QUOTE ] How is it disrespectful?

Utah
11-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Um.....you are assuming that I support Bush. That is not the case. You should learn not to be so partisan. It appears to be clouding your judgement.

PITTM
11-03-2004, 06:23 PM
i am not being partisan at all, you critisized a democrat for dishonoring those dead in a war, i pointed out that the president of the united states has done the same thing...

rj

Eihli
11-03-2004, 06:24 PM
TSC, PITTM, are you guys agreeing with michael moore or disagreeing with Utah/Wooly?

El Barto
11-03-2004, 06:25 PM
The big problem is that he consigns most of the African Americans to the background of the mosaic while the white people are front and center. He must be a racist.

Plus there are some in his mouth, like Bush is going to eat African Americans. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
I diagree with W00ly and Utah, and I don't see it as being disrespectful.

Utah
11-03-2004, 06:27 PM
If you recall, you said a little something about me being hypocritical?

Also, even if the president did that (which I haven't seen) it doesn't make Moore's action any less disgraceful. I have always found the "well the other guy is doing it too" to be an incredibly weak argument in defending one's actions.

wacki
11-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Salt, you really need to read up on Moore's life. The man charges $60,000 per talk and has many multi-million dollar homes. He plays himself off as an average man from average means trying to help the people. This is not the case.

There is a very very good chance that over 80% of those guys support Bush and hate Moore. Yet he is using their pictures to make a statement against a man they most likely support. If I died in Iraq, and Moore used my picture, I would not be happy.

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Salt, you really need to read up on Moore's life. The man charges $60,000 per talk and has many multi-million dollar homes. He plays himself off as an average man from average means trying to help the people. This is not the case.

[/ QUOTE ] I know this.

[ QUOTE ]
If I died in Iraq, and Moore used my picture, I would not be happy.

[/ QUOTE ] Of course you wouldn't, because you would be dead.

I think Moore's mosiac is just a clever way to remind people exactly what we have lost in Iraq. Again, I don't think it is disrespectful.

andyfox
11-03-2004, 06:35 PM
"If I died in Iraq, and Moore used my picture, I would not be happy."

Reminds me of the line from South Pacific where one of the characters says, "Colonel [so-and-so] is dead. I only regret that he could not be here to tell you so himself."

Would I run off and never tell me where I'm going?

wacki
11-03-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You realize that bush had a political ad showing the dead from 9/11 and how ridiculously hypocritical of you this thread is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast Bush believes in what he is doing. He used those pictures for a noble purpose. If I died in 9/11 or Iraq I would want the person that was fighting Al Queda to use my pic to motivate people.

Considering how much Moore charges to talk, and how little he gives back to the community, I highly doubt Moore is in this for anything other that cash and thrills.

BobH42
11-03-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could Michael Moore Be a Bigger Scumbag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if he ate some more Big Macs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EarlCat
[ QUOTE ]
whats the problem? is it the fact that there are enough dead to make a mosiac this large of the president?

[/ QUOTE ]

Casualties in this war, compared to every other US conflict from Vietnam back, have been remarkably low. Not that any are unimportant, but relatively speaking, this war has been much easier than the bloodbaths fought by our grandparents. Don't forget that in WWII we lost six times as many soldiers in ONE DAY.

BTW, how large is Michael Moore's mosaic of Saddam's victims? Oh that's right, he didn't make one.

wacki
Andyfox, you know what I meant. Don't be an ass.

Eihli
ok good, i have no problem with that. as long as nobody here is supporting moore...

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Casualties in this war, compared to every other US conflict from Vietnam back, have been remarkably low. Not that any are unimportant, but relatively speaking, this war has been much easier than the bloodbaths fought by our grandparents. Don't forget that in WWII we lost six times as many soldiers in ONE DAY.

[/ QUOTE ] Very true, in comparison the casualties have been lower.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, how large is Michael Moore's mosaic of Saddam's victims? Oh that's right, he didn't make one.

[/ QUOTE ] why would he anyways?

wacki
11-03-2004, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First andyfox, now Salt. geesh

EarlCat
11-03-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would he anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wouldn't... that would take away from his film's portrayal of prewar Iraq as a serene utopia where a free people relaxed in the sun flying kites and sharing ice cream.

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok good, i have no problem with that. as long as nobody here is supporting moore...

[/ QUOTE ]

what if I did? I can support whomever I want. I think that in regards to Moore a lot of people have a knee jerk reaction to everything he does. They attack the messenger and completely miss the message with him, and I just find it annoying sometimes.

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First andyfox, now Salt. geesh

[/ QUOTE ]

I was first /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACPlayer
11-03-2004, 06:55 PM
On the other hand where is the mosaic with 1000 plus pieces of WMD?

I think the mosaic is brilliant and subject to many interpretations. Obviously, given the source you chose to interpret it as against Bush (which i am sure is MM's intention).

However, it is clear that these men voted with their lives to support Bush, so an alternate view could be one backing bush. If one of the RNC puppet organizations had shown a picture of a saluting bush with the 1000 plus dead americans would there be such a protest?

After seeing this I may have to buy MM's books or see one of his movies. I had thought he was just a hack, maybe he does have some talent.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm a democrat with liberal values, but have, somewhat recently, become dissappointed with Moore as a filmmaker.

I don't think that his primary goal is personal monetary gain. Yes, he may be rather wealthy, but that's something that comes with the movie business, I think. I believe that Moore believes that, through his medium, he can enact social and political change, which is a noteworthy agenda, however, Moore holds somewhat radical views. If anyone has ever seen him speak publicly, it's quite apparent that his views are somewhat left of what would be considered mainstream. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with holding a radical viewpoint, however, Moore has become more and more misleading and psychological in his work and it is here where my respect for him is lost.

For Moore, and many others on both sides of the party line, the end arguement is more important than the methods of persuasion and this, in my opinion, is what makes him (and many many others) (a) scumbag(s).

Ulysses
11-03-2004, 07:32 PM
I just checked it out. Yeah, it's kind of tasteless, but making that picture of GWB out of all those headshots is kinda cool.

EarlCat
11-03-2004, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After seeing this I may have to buy MM's books or see one of his movies. I had thought he was just a hack, maybe he does have some talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Moore is incredibly talented, and F9/11 is a very well made film (and I believe Michael Moore is fully entitled to his share of my $8 ticket). Unfortunately, Moore took more than a few liberties with the truth, and attempts to lead his viewers to make irresponsible conclusions. I recommend watching it. I also recommend FahrenHYPE 9/11. Check out both sides and then decide what's believable.

NLSoldier
11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could Michael Moore Be a Bigger Scumbag?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the term "fat mess" but "scumbag" sums him up pretty good too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BadBoyBenny
11-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Fellowship 911 blows them both away

ClonexxSA
11-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Im going to make a mosaic of Johnson (A democrat) with the pictures of the 36,000 soldiers that died in 4 years in Vietnam and mail it to Moore.

Think he will like it?

richie
11-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Way before MM made Fahrenheit 911 (and BFC), Moore made a few other entertaining movies, The Big One and, Roger and Me. This was before the Bush-bashing years, and Moore was mainly known as a champion of the common man, not a Bush-hater. His short-lived series The Awful Truth was also excellent--too bad it didn't run longer. And FWIW, I am a registered Republican; however, I voted Libertarian this time, as I was disappointed in GWB. Am seriously thinking about changing permanently to the Libertarians, the 2 "mainstream" parties are out of touch and full of ****. As far as Moore goes, he is certainly no worse than the Ann Coulters and Shawn Hannitys of the world. As least Moore freely admits 911 is an attack on Bush.

andyfox
11-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I thought I was making a joke or two. If I came off as an ass, my sincere apology.

wacki
11-04-2004, 04:34 AM
No problem...

When it comes to Moore, my sense of humor goes out the window.

jokerswild
11-04-2004, 05:27 AM
No.

SinCityGuy
11-04-2004, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Atleast Bush believes in what he is doing. He used those pictures for a noble purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using them in campaign advertisements and brochures to get re-elected is a noble purpose?

Wow. I never knew Karl Rove was so noble. I guess I'll have to change my opinion of him now.

nicky g
11-04-2004, 05:34 AM
"Im going to make a mosaic of Johnson (A democrat) with the pictures of the 36,000 soldiers that died in 4 years in Vietnam and mail it to Moore.

Think he will like it? "

I seriously doubt Moore is a fan of either LBJ or the Vietnam war. He supported the Democrats this time but he is not a Democrat hack (last time he was for Nader). And even if he was, your suggestion is ridiculous. It's like retorting to someone saying "Kerry is dishonest" with "Yeah but what about that Nixon?" It's totally irrelevant.

SinCityGuy
11-04-2004, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to make a mosaic of Johnson (A democrat) with the pictures of the 36,000 soldiers that died in 4 years in Vietnam and mail it to Moore.

Think he will like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably so. The liberals hated Johnson so much that he didn't even run for re-election in 1968.

EarlCat
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And FWIW, I am a registered Republican; however, I voted Libertarian this time, as I was disappointed in GWB. Am seriously thinking about changing permanently to the Libertarians, the 2 "mainstream" parties are out of touch and full of ****.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a libertarian for several years now, but I heartily disagree with their irrational devotion to international non-intervention. Had the libertarians been in power in the 40s, we would have had to wait to join WWII until the Kriegsmarine blew up Boston Harbor.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as Moore goes, he is certainly no worse than the Ann Coulters and Shawn Hannitys of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Hannity isn't a fair debater and Coulter makes gross exaggerations for shock-value, but I don't believe either's message is fundamentally dishonest.

[ QUOTE ]
As least Moore freely admits 911 is an attack on Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he also admits the sky is blue and the Pope is Catholic.

vulturesrow
11-04-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Way before MM made Fahrenheit 911 (and BFC), Moore made a few other entertaining movies, The Big One and, Roger and Me. This was before the Bush-bashing years, and Moore was mainly known as a champion of the common man, not a Bush-hater. His short-lived series The Awful Truth was also excellent--too bad it didn't run longer. And FWIW, I am a registered Republican; however, I voted Libertarian this time, as I was disappointed in GWB. Am seriously thinking about changing permanently to the Libertarians, the 2 "mainstream" parties are out of touch and full of ****. As far as Moore goes, he is certainly no worse than the Ann Coulters and Shawn Hannitys of the world. As least Moore freely admits 911 is an attack on Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger and Me was just as full of deliberate lies and shadings of truth as F9/11 and BFC. The guy obviously has talent in filmmaking but is wasting that talent by making this crap.

emonrad87
11-06-2004, 02:06 AM
quick answer:

NO