PDA

View Full Version : foolhardy beginner bluff by me?

theBruiser500
11-03-2004, 05:50 PM
5/10 6 handed limit, UTG limper, button raises, I call with KQo in BB so does UTG. Is preflop okay? No read on opponents. Flop comes 622o, I check, UTG checks, button bets and I raise. They both call.

Turn is 9, I bet, UTG calls button folds. River is 3, I bet.

On the flop the buttons most likely hand are high cards right? And the UTG could have anything. I figured they'd call the flop with anything to take a card off so I need to bet the turn to make this belieavlbale so they can fold ace high or whatever else. On the river I don't think my bluff has much chance of succeeding but with the pot so big I need to try don't I

Grisgra
11-03-2004, 06:12 PM
First of all, definitely not foolhardy. That doesn't mean it's definitely right, but it's not foolhardy.

UTG's flop coldcall means either he:

1) is slowplaying something like A6 (unlikely but possible)
2) has a small-to-medium-sized pocket pair and is playing it weak-tight (meaning he won't fold on the river)
3) has two overcards and is playing them exceedingly badly (if he has something like AT or AJ, he shouldn't coldcall the flop two-bet back to him, but he does)
4) He has A9
5) He has something like 54s or 43s (a lot of horrible players will limp with hands like this UTG)

If #1, you're beaten. If #2, the 3 on the river is not going to scare him, and he'll call. If #3, he's a lot less likely to fold than if, say, a Q or K came on the river (those would be scarier for him). But your river bet might chase him out. If #4, obviously you're not getting him out. And if #5, you're either ahead of him, or he'll likely call one bet with his baby pair.

I think that what I'm saying is I'd probably give up on the river -- *probably*. If the river were an ace or a jack or a ten, I'd think you'd be more likely to buy the pot. But as it is, you tried on the flop and the turn, and it's not workin'. And the river isn't scary at ALL.

But it ain't no great sin to try.

Danenania
11-03-2004, 06:17 PM
I will usually make this bet. I think you will fold out A-high often enough to make it good.

Benjamin
11-03-2004, 06:18 PM
This looks like a play out of the sketchy side of my book. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sometimes the river bet gets a fold ... maybe even folding an ace that finally decided you have a pair of something. Most times I get shown a pair or a decent ace. :*( And then I cuss myself for being too LAG.

I think the preflop call is fine, the flop play fine for occasional use, and the turn bet mandatory if you pulled the flop move. On the river I really don't know what the best action is, but I bet or check/fold depending on my whim of the moment.

B.

I Play 2 Ski
11-03-2004, 06:28 PM
I like this play alot, UTG can have anything, nd your only bluffing into one person.

A. I think there is a a decent chance he will fold to a river bet

B. If he don't at least you know his UTG limping criteria

C. If your beat you look LAGy and may get some action on future rounds when you hit.

On a board like this and you decide to take control of the action, bet the rive if it doesn't look like it would have helped your opponent.

theBruiser500
11-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Grisgra, your analysis is interesting because it shows my muddled thinking. I didn't take into account the fact that he limped UTG so less likely he has 54s or 43s but it also shows that pretty much every hand he could have beats me and will call a river bet.