PDA

View Full Version : The Supreme Court

El Barto
11-03-2004, 05:35 PM

andyfox
11-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Rehnquist. And Bush will nominate Scalia for Chief Justice.

ddollevoet
11-04-2004, 10:27 AM
This is really an interesting question as most thought GWB would appoint 2-3 judges in his first term. It seems unlikely that another 4 years would go buy without one or more appointments.

GWB
11-04-2004, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is really an interesting question as most thought GWB would appoint 2-3 judges in his first term. It seems unlikely that another 4 years would go buy without one or more appointments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Democrat Senators can no longer say that I am unelected, since I won an absolute majority of the vote (the first time in 16 years). With 55 GOP Senators, I hope my appointments will go a little easier.

Given the aggressiveness of his cancer, Rehnquist may not be alive in four years. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 10:38 AM
I doubt it. I think he'll nominate someone just like Scalia for chief justice (too much baggage w/ Scalia)

GWB
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Do you guys think I need to nominate "stealth" candidates to get them confirmed?

tripdad
11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
you should re-nominate Robert Bork. as a federal judge, EVERY ruling he ever made, then subsequently appealed to and heard by the Supreme Court, was upheld. the man simply is dead on with his decisions, and is the nation's foremost expert on constitutional law.

cheers!

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the nation's foremost expert on constitutional law

[/ QUOTE ]

spoken like someone who doesn't read much about constitutional law.

texaspimp
11-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm curious Elwood, what are your specific problems with Bork?

Also, for my edification, are you an attorney?

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what are your specific problems with Bork

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an attorney and I haven't said that I have any problems with Bork. I have a problem with someone claiming he is the nation's foremost expert on Constitutional law.

texaspimp
11-04-2004, 11:48 AM
In your opinion, who would be the foremost expert?

tripdad
11-04-2004, 11:51 AM
certainly there are many many experts on constitutional law. can you really say there is one "foremost" expert? perhaps not. after all, Judge Bork had to be taught by someone. i would say that, as a judge, he is must be at the top of the heap.

cheers!

texaspimp
11-04-2004, 11:53 AM
I vote for Judge Judy.

Anything to get that shrew off of TV.

Judge Judy = pecker repellant

lastchance
11-04-2004, 12:08 PM
I'd love to hear from a lawyer on this. If you were the President, who'd you nominate? And who'd you nominate strictly based on how good a judge they are?

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 12:19 PM
I don't think there is one foremost expert. Good authors with deep knowledge and interesting thoughts include (but are certainly not limited to) Lawrence Tribe and William Lockhart

elwoodblues
11-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Just curious what people claiming that america isn't a democracy think of this Bork quote:

"Being 'at the mercy of legislative majorities' is merely another way of describing the basic American plan: representative democracy"

sprmario
11-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Stevens is 84 - liberal; Ford
Renquist is 80 - conservative; Reagan
O'Connor is 74 - moderate but leans conservative; Reagan
Ginsberg is 71 - liberal; Clinton
Scalia is 68 - ultra conservative; Reagan
Kennedy is 68 - moderate but leans conservative; Reagan
Breyer is 66 - liberal; Clinton
Souter is 65 - pretty liberal; Bush
Thomas is 57 - ultra conservative; Bush

Expect Renquist and O'Connor to retire in Bushes' term. Stevens is likely to hold out until he dies because he really doesn't want to be replaced by a Republican president.

*Edit - something interesting to note is that 2 of the justices that are considered as pretty liberal (Stevens and Souter) were nominated by Republican presidents.