PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of sounding stupid.......

Douglas Leslie
11-03-2004, 03:42 PM
What does SSH stand for?

Entity
11-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Small Stakes Hold'em.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Small%20Stakes%20Hold'em

IsaacW
11-03-2004, 03:46 PM
SSH/SSHE are abbreviations for Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason Malmuth. It is published by 2+2.

Excellent book, read it if you play small stakes hold'em.

Douglas Leslie
11-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I recently acquired Hold em Poker by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth and I notice that the recommended starting hands in that book have a number of differences from the SSH hands shown on another thread. Have they changed their views on what constitutes a starting hand, or do they bet differently at small stakes?

young nut
11-03-2004, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for clearing that up. I recently acquired Hold em Poker by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth and I notice that the recommended starting hands in that book have a number of differences from the SSH hands shown on another thread. Have they changed their views on what constitutes a starting hand, or do they bet differently at small stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Small stakes hold em is a very different animal than NL and higher stakes Limit ring games or tournaments. Certian hands in these small stakes limit games lose value. For example, many unsuited broadway hands have pretty strong value in NL and higher stakes HE, whereas these cards lose significant value in small limit HE. Limit play is much different, so you have to adjust starting hand selections to those hands that have +EV for limit games.

That said, go grab your copy of SSHE as quickly as you can. It is definitely the premier book on small limit games.