PDA

View Full Version : Most embarrassing decade

TheRake
11-03-2004, 03:11 PM
I am from the 80's generation. Our pop culture was pretty embarrassing, but I don't think it was the worst. Which decade do you think is most embarrassing? Consider fashion, hair styles, movies, music, cars, etc.

namknils
11-03-2004, 03:47 PM
I vote for the 80's hands down. Just considering the fashion and hair styles makes me cringe. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TheRake
11-03-2004, 03:51 PM
80's is leading..haha

I owned a pair of parachute pants...2 actually /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TheRake

M2d
11-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I was caught up between the 80's (when I grew up) and the 90's and its lack of substance. then I realized that Reality TV (not just real world stuff, but survivor, american idol, et al), baggy pants hanging down to your knees, Brittany Spears, the Osbornes, as well as a whole host of other pop culture, apocolyptic crap has come out of the decade we're living in now. since it wasn't on the original list, "other" was a no-brainer.

TheRake
11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
M2d,

you make a good arguement. I have 2 words for you.

Corn Rows

Senor Choppy
11-03-2004, 05:35 PM
I loved everything about the 80's.

andyfox
11-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I vote for the current decade. Nothing from the outrageous '60s can compare with the sight of all these middle-aged, middle-weight women baring their ample midrifts and tattoos.

ilya
11-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Cool clothes.
Cool cars.
Cool music.

What the hell is not to like?

I voted for the 80's and I don't think it's close.

Dantes
11-04-2004, 01:51 AM
uh hello? Feathered hair? Bellbottoms? DISCO? 70s for sure.

dr. klopek
11-04-2004, 02:24 AM
The 80's was so extreme that it's hard to say. Some of my favorite movies were made in the 80's; "Fast Times...," "Princess Bride," "The Burbs," "After Hours," and the list goes on. Some great music came out of the 80's too, like They might be Giants, The Talking Heads, Boogie Down Productions, etc. These excellent things have their awful counterparts that seem to be the only things people remember. I had to vote for the 80's though because we have the advantage of being at the point where we can look back via looking at the countries who are just now getting some of that stuff (think Japan and All those little ones that used to be Russia), or never got off it, and with this perspective, we understand how horrifying some of the decisions we made were. However, I must give props to the decade in which the Coreys reigned supreme.

Oh, and here's another two words: rat tail.

TheRake
11-04-2004, 11:12 AM
I am actually suprised more people didn't pick the 60's as the most embarrassing. Flower power, free love, hippees, VW Beatles, etc.

I am also a little suprised anyone picked the 50's. I would be interested in hearing what the reasoning was behind that pick. Seriously, does it get any cooler than the '57 chevy? Anyway I think the 50's were kinda cool.

I should have put a second poll up asking for the coolest decade. If you feel the urge add a response with your coolest decade.

TheRake

ilya
11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uh hello? Feathered hair? Bellbottoms? DISCO? 70s for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm not sure about bellbottoms. But cords are hott.
And I wasn't talking about disco. Although ABBA is hott.... But I was talking about funk.
I forgot about feathered hair though.

I notice you didn't say anything about cars. I don't blame you; this baby is hottter than piss:

http://www.volvo1800pictures.com/a_ES_73_1/ES73_110_id_519_50.JPG

ilya
11-04-2004, 01:23 PM
The hippies were flaky and unkempt but there was too much good civil rights stuff going on to pick the 60's.
Oh and the music wasn't bad either.

Neil Stevens
11-04-2004, 01:40 PM
It took all of 2 seconds for me to pick the 60s.