PDA

View Full Version : Fold a made Straight?

12-01-2001, 11:26 PM
15-30 Stud

Fifth Street: 3 players left. Seat to my right bets (plain vanilla board, I put him on two high pair)

I make my ace-high straight with a very scary/obvious board showing and raise (trying to eliminate the third player who paired his door card 4)

3rd player (paired door card 4) calls

sixth street he catches another 4, I call both sixth street and the river. He shows down Quad 4s.

Thoughtfull analysis of this hand and its play would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards,

Bob in AZ

12-02-2001, 01:20 AM
Unless the pot is huge, I would dump on sixth street. Two guys hit their door cards on fifth, and you raise--he has to know you've got your straight (or maybe big trips). I think that given the action on fifth, he almost has to have trip fours. Maybe he's got two big pair and is trying to fill, but more likely, he's got trip fours. Or might he have a four-flush to go with his pair of fours? He had to have something pretty good to call $60 cold against two scary boards. Even if he has only a four-flush and trips on sixth, he's got a zillion outs to beat a straight, and you have no re-draw. More likely, he's already at least full, and you're dead. I don't dump many made hands, but this is the kind of spot where I do.

12-02-2001, 05:52 AM
Only a complete idiot would have cold-called for two big bets on fifth street with a pair of fours and nothing else. So you should have figured you were up against a full house or quads when the third four came down.

12-05-2001, 03:47 AM
Dear Bob,

You are a great guy, and I am glad to see that you are doing so well at 15/30 stud. The last time I saw you, every time I walked by your table you were sliding another $100 dollar stacks of reds in to your pile.

I know how frustrating that evening 15/30 crowd can be. They are harder to read because their calling patterns are looser. If you were sitting in seat 4, I remember one time that I got sandwiched in a raising war, between 3 big flush cards and a paired door card in that same 4 seat.

I just "knew" that the flush was made or he never would keep rejamming into the possible made house. So I mucked my made treetop, only to watch the "made flush" turn into 2 pair on the river, as he drug a "big" pot into his pile. Poker... You got to love it. It's nice to see you in the 2+2 forum.

Most sincerely,

Doc AZ