PDA

View Full Version : omaha hi-lo preflop-question

11-29-2001, 01:29 PM
In hold'em it's sometimes ok to fold preflop even when you already called or raised the blinds when the action becomes to heavy. Are there any situations like this preflop at omaha hi-lo ??

11-29-2001, 06:35 PM
Pokerhero - If you do fold to a raise after you have already called (or raised) a bet, I think you have made a mistake. If you were getting odds to put Z chips in the pot when there were X chips already in the pot, then surely it is correct to put Z chips in the pot when there have come to be more than X chips in the pot.

However, if your mistake was to call with a hand you should not have been playing in the first place, and you recognise that you made a mistake in calling (or raising) the first bet, then whatever you do may be wrong. Calling when you recogize you shouldn't must be incorrect, and folding after you have already called is playing "weak" and thereby encouraging your opponents to raise in the future after you have already called.

However, if you call from mid position with a marginal hand (or even sub-marginal for most posters here, but perhaps very playable for Jellow) like Q-J-T-9-rainbow, and if it is double or triple raised by the time the betting gets back to you, then you might consider folding (although I generally wouldn't, mainly for the sake of table image).

Your best bet is to play solid hands where you may not particularly want a raise, but where you do not cringe at the thought of a raise either.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

11-29-2001, 07:25 PM
So long as you had a genuine hand for your call/raise then there are probably not many situations where you would then fold to further action, but they do exist.

For example, say you are in late position but not on the button, there is a limper UTG, you call with a hand which has A3 for low and not too much else (just enough to call), and then the button raises, the BB re-raises and the limper re-re-raises (there are people who will do this, and it may be a good play). You weren't necessarily wrong to call in the first place, but once there is all that extra action you should certainly pass as your A3 is no good and you have to put in 3 more bets.

The same could apply if, in the same example, the BB folds and it's just the limper and the button who are raising, since the pot may yet still be capped between them, and your hand is still no good. You might also pass for less action if one of the raisers plays so that you know he must have a really great hand such as AA23, which totally kills your A3 hand.

I can't think of many situations where I would fold a genuine *raising* hand to further action, though, and I would be surprised if there were any situations where one should fold to a single extra bet having called.

Oh no!! Not again!

11-29-2001, 07:27 PM
Dear Ray,

I'd really appreciate your views on this one (knowing you, you can probably sum it up in one sentence with no punctuation!).

Oh no!! Not again!

11-29-2001, 07:58 PM
Oh no - Interesting. I thought of A-3-X-X under the gun, but when I tried to fill in the Xs, I had some trouble coming up with a calling hand under the gun. For example, with A-3-4-K UTG, I would tend to come in with a raise while with A-3-8-9 UTG, I would tend to fold.

I wonder what your other two cards would be to limp UTG with ace-trey.

Buzz

11-29-2001, 08:33 PM
i would go so far as to say id fold ace deuce nothing when double or triple popped behind me when i limped. and i would limp alot of times with this hand depending on the game. also with most just high hands id go out when double popped especially out of position on the raisers and when i limped in. in this game when it gets double popped they always have very good connected hands. not many reasons to go against them, and when facing at least two of these hands its hard to find a way to win the pot.

11-29-2001, 08:59 PM
In my post I said A3 in late position when someone else has limped UTG. But UTG there are lots of hands with A3 that I *might* limp with, *sometimes*. A3sQQ is the first one I thought of.

Oh no!! Not again!

11-29-2001, 09:18 PM
Thanks. Makes sense.

11-30-2001, 04:55 AM
since you used four sentences to answer this post (see Ohnonotagain right above your post) /images/smile.gif

11-30-2001, 09:05 AM
...we finally get a little meat with our potatoes...careful, or it'll be crackers again... heh

11-30-2001, 11:06 AM
i would go so far as to say id fold ace deuce nothing when double or triple popped behind me when i limped. and i would limp alot of times with this hand depending on the game; also with most just high hands id go out when double popped especially out of position on the raisers and when i limped in; in this game when it gets double popped they always have very good connected hands, not many reasons to go against them, and when facing at least two of these hands its hard to find a way to win the pot.

Ok, that's pretty ugly editing but at least Rick can now sleep.

11-30-2001, 02:31 PM
Hell,Omaha Players,

If I were to play only four Big Cards in Omaha High only, and can expect at least 6 players pre-flop and 4 players on the flop ALL THE TIME in a low limit game, can I expect to be a long term winner? Sitting Bull

11-30-2001, 04:38 PM
What about a hand like 2345 in late position and it's raised, reraised etc. by the button and the blinds? Surely the raises more than likely indicate that the Aces you need to flop have already been distributed in other players hands. I don't like 2345 myself, but i certainly wouldn't play on with it here.

11-30-2001, 09:09 PM
5 actually, and ill see to it i dont make

12-01-2001, 04:10 PM
Hello,Mr. Peterson,

By BIG CARDS, I mean 10,J,Q,K,A only==in any combination===suited or not.

Exs. (10 10 j q ) (q k j j ) (10 a j q}

High Omaha only ************************************************** ***********Did you try Internet hol'em on "www.pokerroom.com yet?*** If you do try it,I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks Mr. Peterson Sitting Bull

12-01-2001, 10:20 PM
Never played at pokerroom. I have played planet, paradise, highlands, and Ultimatebet for moeny. Apart from highlands these are all good. Paradise is best for limit, UB best for pot limit and nolimit. In fact some guy just moved allin on me on the turn when i held the nuts with a redraw in hearts.

Other than that i would strongly reccomend playing a few of the freerolls at Poker Stars. They have 2-3 free tournaments every day, and also you get to see a real picture of me, which is no doubt the highlight of the site. Also, Planet has a $500 freeroll EVERY day in december, if you have made at least one $50 deposit all year. These are well run, and they pay 10 places. I got 18th this morning and found the standard of play fair to poor on average. I was dumb enough to play my AsKs on an Ac4s7s flop for all my chips only to be rivered by A2o. But play here and you will find some free money before long.

12-02-2001, 09:12 PM