PDA

View Full Version : o8 and variance?

11-28-2001, 06:29 PM
i played some omaha 8 6-12 the other day and tore through like $350 so quickly it was sick. i wasnt playing a lot of hands preflop (especially compared to the other players at the table) and i wasnt drawing to non-nut garbage either, i was missing an awful lot though and won only one pot the whole time i was sitting there.

im wondering if the variance is just much higher for this game? is the luck factor much higher than in hold em? it just seemed like every flop i saw was just so so far from connecting with my hand even remotely, but players with 4 completely random cards were connecting by the river constantly and pulling in big big pots.

ive read about o8 that there is a higher luck factor and bad players can do much better in this game, but ive also read things like badger's article on the de-schooling factor of omaha. which is true?

11-28-2001, 09:24 PM
Mike,

In 6/12 holdem you can easily go through that kind of money if you get outdrawn a few times in big pots.

Badger is right. For a given level of aggressiveness, Omaha 8 has far less swings than holdem as long as you play well. And if you play well you rarely jam or get jammed without huge made hands or draws (preferably both ways) when it matters. By huge you should end up in situations were 70% of the deck or more gives you at least half or more of the pot.

Regards,

Rick