PDA

View Full Version : Raising/Limping in 6max games

Atropos
11-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey folks,
I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to calculate something like this:
a) The perfect size (in BB) of a standard raise in 6max nl games, the perfect size of a raise against X limpers the perfect percentage of raising hands in 6max nl games?
b) The perfect percentage of VPIP in a 6max nl game, the percentage of hands to call a raise for X% of your stack.

I dont want someone to calculate all this for me, I just want to see a general approach how this could be done.
The structure would be the party structure, meaning 50BB stacks.
What I consider the "perfect percentage of raising hands" would be a number, that you raise that often, that you will nearly always get called when you have a big hand (AA,KK,AK) but if you get called while raising your weakest raising hands it should still be on average a little better than the typical calling hands of the party folks.
Positional raising should be quite linear I think, UTG you raise a bit less than the overall percentage, UTG+1 you increase your raising percentage a bit, and at the Button you raise more than the optimum raising percentage. All this in constant steps, so that if you add up the numbers and divide them by six you have the optimum raising percentage.

Perfect Limping percentage would be something like 17% of your hands (1/6), the position stuff would be the same.

Ghazban
11-03-2004, 12:45 PM
This calculation relies heavily on what your opponents' playing styles are so I don't think you can express it in a general sense. If everybody folds everything but AA (an extreme example), you can raise a lot more hands profitably because you will get the blinds so often. I'd be very surprised if it was possible to come up with a general strategy that worked well in all situations.

Atropos
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
You are right, but I dont want a "perfect" solution for that problem, I just want a solution that is somewhat based on math. If we assume, that the normal party 6max players call 2BB raises with all pocket pairs, most A-rag, + maybe 10% random suited, the solution would be pretty accurate.
I think it has to be possible to find a solution, in Sit&Gos for example it also highly depends on your opponents if they will call you with J4o when you try to steal the blinds, but its still considered a math problem, which got a mathematical solution. (I think its called Sklansky-Karlson theorem)