PDA

View Full Version : stud hand comments

11-26-2001, 05:19 PM
We were playing 30 stud (it played like 5-10) when this hand came up.

A deuce in the 1 seat brought it in. 2, 3, 4 folded. 5 seat called with a 7 up (totally live one, passive, A3 in the hole is definetely a hand he would play, all offsuit). 6th seat called with a deuce of spades (only played with him for about 30-40min at this point, did not get a chance to see many of his hands, thought he probably was not a good player, he had crazy eyes, was vocal). I limped next with 9hTd Kh. Looking to catch a pair and possibly play the 5seat heads up. Seat 8 folded. On fourth street it looked something like this.

1 seat: xx 26

5 seat: xx 7T

6 seat: xx 2s4s

myself: 9hTd Kh6h

Even though I caught a suited 6 helping my hand a little it was not something I was looking for. I was high on board. I decided to check and see what action would develop. Everybody checked. Here is 5th street.

1 seat: xx 26x

5 seat: xx 7Tx

6 seat: xx 2s4s4d

myself: 9T K66.

I bet $60 on my open sixes. 1 and 5 seats folded right away. 6 seat said raise and popped it to 120. I called. On sixth street I picked up a gutshot straight draw and he caught an 8. I checked, he bet, I called. River I MISSID EVERYTHING. I checked, he bet, I called.

Comments and results later.

11-26-2001, 06:48 PM
You certainly played the hand differently than I would have. Firstly why limp with your hand on third street? If you want to catch a pair and hope that it holds up then you should raise coming in. If you are playing the hand hoping to make a five card hand then you do not really stretch enough to play it for straight value,and your two flush is weak. Part of the value in playing these hands with a suited ace is that you can catch the highest pair possible and it will win enough to make it profitable.

Once you were in, you can see the value of coming in for a raise. Had you raised coming in it is hard to see how the paired 4's could call since you are representing k's up.

You have to call all the way since your K is the highest kicker, and should call the river since it is possible he is bluffing. I suspect that you won the hand with your 6's. Since you did not really show strength he may have figured that he could play you off your hand, and he may just have had a fourflush with a pair. This is especially true since you caught a pair on the board and it got checked around, so he figures you have nothing other than 6's.

Pat

11-26-2001, 11:50 PM
With 7-1 odds on 3rd street, yeah, you should probably hold your nose and call. I don't like raising here with this kind of crap. If there was a good chance of getting heads-up I might try it, but let's be realistic - there's no chance at all. Plus I can't stand a reraise with this garbage, and I'm likely to be first to act on 4th, which I'm not happy about either.

Check on 4th is okay.

5th is of course the difficult decision. I would have wimped out and check-folded. It's entirely possible that I am folding the best hand, but with all my strength exposed and being first to act, I am at a big disadvantage. If I bet, I'm not likely to get called unless I'm beaten because the pot is so small. Having one of my sixes gone doesn't help my chances either.

I would bet on 5th only if I had a pretty good read on my opponents and felt I had close to an even-money chance to pick up the pot right there.

TRLS

11-27-2001, 06:34 AM
I would of played it differently too - I think you should bet out on 4rth street. With all the low dead cards in front of your opponents on 3rd, plus the fact that they haven't caught any scare cards on 4rth, plus your K6s, I think it's definitely worth a bet. It would of saved you money too, 'coz seat6 might not of raised your 5th street (more expensive) bet if you had showed previous strenght - he might of even folded on 5th.

11-27-2001, 07:32 PM
Hello, Berya,

You had a raising hand on 3rd. If you improve,you would like to play your big pair against a reduced field--no more than two opponents. I think you made a serious mistake by not raising on 3rd and compounded your error on the other streets. Sitting Bull

11-27-2001, 07:44 PM
Hello, fled,

What are you trying to represent by betting on 4th.?NOT a pair of K's?? If you didn't raise on 3rd.,why should your opponents be convinced that you have K's on 4th.? Fat chance! Sitting Bull

11-28-2001, 06:30 AM
I think you're really missing the point "Sitting Bull". I don't need to represent K's. I have a scary board including 2 hearts, and I catch a pair on 5th. Besides, are you suggesting that one should ALWAYS raise on 3rd street with a premium hand (such as K's)? Ever hear of deception? I was under the impression that mixing your play was an integral part of poker.

11-28-2001, 03:55 PM
On 5th when I got raised my first thought was to fold but it passed away quickly. I realized that there is no way he has any hand. He seemed aggresive in nature and was last to act with a suited board and checked? Why? I was sure he would bet a four flush (that is the hand I thought he might have when he limped in on 3rd). I was also sure he would bet ANY pair in that spot because he was last and had a suited board. Yet he did not. Could he have trips? Maybe but not likely because everybody was calling everything so why in the world would you get cute and check in this spot. OK. For some of these reasons and some other ones I figured he either had 3 fours or total blanks (also he hesitated very slightly when he raised I could sense he thought he was going to win the pot right there). I called and called rather quickly. On 6th I checked and called quickly. On 7th I checked and he made a small hesitation again, then bet. It seemed as a bad sign for me (Damn. I think he had just outdrawn me). I called with my two sixes. He turned over 5s7d8d as his whole cards making him two pair 8's and 4's. I'm not sure if he matched the 8 on the river or 6th street.

P.S. I think I could have taken the pot from him on 5th street if I reraised (since I was so sure he had blanks and was making a play). Instead I kept stringing him and myself along.

11-28-2001, 08:01 PM
Hello,Fled,

NOT raising in a multi-way pot is too riskey when you have a big pair---heads-up,O.K.

When you play with almost all "regulars",deception comes into play more frequently;when playing with two or three "strangers", deception becomes less effective. Sitting Bull

11-29-2001, 05:30 PM
bad luck for you the other 6 came out on 4th st.

11-29-2001, 07:21 PM
Hello,berya,

If you had read him for two pairs as his most likely hand,maybe a check-raise bluff would have been the best play.

Sitting Bull