PDA

View Full Version : 3,500,000 Votes Baby!

GWB
11-03-2004, 08:55 AM
The Curse of the Popular Vote has been lifted. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

For the record. John Kerry was a honorable opponent and a good person, although I do think I will continue to be a better President.

W00lygimp
11-03-2004, 09:14 AM
You know i thought that 6 hours ago, all the way until he announced hes contesting Ohio. Slimy bastard.

GWB
11-03-2004, 09:17 AM
He is just giving his base (Unions, Activist groups, etc.) a chance to come to grips with reality. If he concedes too soon, they would never forgive him.

El Barto
11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I have to admit that I am surprised that a candidate can rack up a 3% popular vote margin and still be so close to losing the electoral college (just one state with a 135,000 vote margin).

This popular vote margin is about 7 times bigger than Gore's margin was.

andyfox
11-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Bush could have won by 3,000,000 votes and lost the election. Isn't that, in itself, the best argument against the electoral college?

SinCityGuy
11-03-2004, 04:20 PM
I don't agree. The popular votes within the individual states are indirectly related to each other.

For Kerry to have made up the deficit in Ohio, he would have had to spend much more time and money there. This loss of time and resources would have cost him somewhere else like Wisconsin or New Hampshire.

El Barto
11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree. The popular votes within the individual states are indirectly related to each other.

For Kerry to have made up the deficit in Ohio, he would have had to spend much more time and money there. This loss of time and resources would have cost him somewhere else like Wisconsin or New Hampshire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kerry may have lost because of the big push by Bush in MN, WI, and IA and Bush's strong polling there, which drained resources and time from the Kerry campaign.

BobH42
11-03-2004, 05:44 PM
I don't know about the idea that Kerry diverted resources from OH...I live in OH and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would have been difficult for Kerry's campaign and other supporting groups to have spent MORE time, money, and resources in my state.

If fact, I almost wonder if they spent too much and turned some OH undecideds away by flooding the airways to such an unprecidented extent. Not sure whether too much advertising went on but I can definitely say that Kerry did not lose OH from lack of attention /images/graemlins/laugh.gif