PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8: Ax suited Question

11-26-2001, 01:50 AM
Obviously if you're dealt a premium suited Ace (A2, A3) you're going to play the hand in a typical LA ring game. But you're dealt a non-premium hand: say Ah6h9cTd. Would you play the hand in a typical (5 of 9 players seeing the flop) LA ring game with 33% of the flops being raised from the base 6/12?

Thanks for your opinions.

-- Russ Fox

11-26-2001, 04:00 AM
Russ,

I'd play your hand (Ah-6h-9c-Td) on or near the button against a large field for one bet. To play up front (even in the soft game you stipulated) it would have to be better on the high side (e.g. Ah-6h-Qd-Jd) or the low side (Ah-6h-4d-7c) or a little bit better on both sides(Ah-5h-Jd-Tc).

Regards,

Rick

11-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Russ - The only very worthwhile feature of the hand you have posted is the flush draw. If you have two hearts there are 122562 ways to make a flush by the time you get to the river. 122562/1712304 = 0.0716.

In other words, you’ll make your nut flush one deal out of fourteen. However, much of that time the board will be paired, and most of that time the board will enable a low. Taken alone, the flush draw does not seem very playable, if that is all you have. Of course there is some (poor) chance of your other cards meshing with the board.

But you already know all that if you are Russ Fox the bridge player, *the* Russ Fox of Marc‘s great fox hunt.

However, to answer your question, with excellent players such as you seated at the table, I would play the hand you have posted some of the time, but not much - just enough so that you couldn’t get much of a line on my play even if you recognized that I was randomizing my play.

I wouldn’t advise you to play the hand at all.

OneOfTheHounds

11-27-2001, 02:41 AM
a69t is not a playable hand period. and as for a2 or a3 you may or may not play those. i would certainly not play a3 up front in the game without alot of other help.

11-27-2001, 02:42 AM
rick, i dont think you can play any of those hands you listed. are you losing your mind.

11-27-2001, 03:21 AM
ray,

Russell plays in my games and he already thinks I never play any hands. The hands listed I would only play in the softest games and agree they may be slight losers in isolation. But lately people are talking about me how I never play a hand and sit for hours waiting. I need a new reputation.

BTW, I am out of my mind but not in the way you probably think.

Regards,

Rick

11-27-2001, 04:05 AM
problem is the rep. you are going to get rhymes with the one you have now-- mucker

11-27-2001, 05:55 AM
Rick - It doesn’t matter whether you think in terms of up front or around back, or whether the pot is raised or not. Any way you cut it, despite the suited ace, Ah-6h-9c-Td simply is a loser.

Only about one out of six flops (3012/17296) are playable, and that’s stretching the definition of "playable" flop. Most "playable" flops will only end up winning for high less than a third of the time. The other two thirds of the time, you will lose and get nothing. In addition, most of the "playable" flops involve at least two low cards, so that the one third of the time you do end up winning for high, roughly 80% to 90% of your winning high hands will have to split with low. Finally, the A-6 is not going to be good enough to win for low often enough to make a significant difference.

Watch out for tricky devils who would try to talk you into playing trash like this for the sake of your image!

OneOfTheHounds

11-27-2001, 07:28 AM
I gotta agree with Ray here, I can't believe you wrote this Rick.

Does your image even matter in an Omaha 8 game? They still call hoping for "the other half".

Oh well I never play the game so what do I know.

Later

Kris

11-27-2001, 12:46 PM
Goat,

I would prefer to look looser then I play FOR THIS GAME (9/18 and 6/12). You generally make money on more action rather than steals.

I did play a session with Russell (I think) at the Bike where I found out that they were gabbing about me after I left because I actually went about three hours without seeing a flop. Perhaps concern about my rep (yeah, rhymes with bite) loosened me up in my post /images/smile.gif .

Regards,

Rick

11-27-2001, 03:00 PM
I think you should play all of those hands---and please save a seat at the table for me!

11-27-2001, 08:33 PM
is junk, muck quick

11-27-2001, 08:38 PM
only 3 hours?

11-27-2001, 09:27 PM
Hello, Ric,

Are you a winning poker player with the style that you have? If so, why change it? NEVER let what people think influence you unless what they say or think will probably improve your game if you change. Sitting Bull

11-27-2001, 09:39 PM
Hello,Jellow,

Are you playing for "competition" or to make some "money"?

Happy Pokering

Sitting Bull