PDA

View Full Version : Whats the correct play here?

mrharb
11-03-2004, 06:27 AM
PP 10/1 (would it make a difference if this was a 200/15?)
Level:7 Blinds(200/400)

Table Table 11099 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 4: mrharb ( $1459 )
Seat 8: Elan808 ( $862 )
Seat 3: SLanni ( $5679 )
Trny:6928945 Level:7
Blinds(200/400)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mrharb [ 5c 2d ]
Elan808 is all-In.
SLanni folds.
mrharb calls [462].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ad, 7d, 3c ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Tc ]
** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]
Elan808 shows [ As, 3s ] two pairs, aces and threes.
mrharb shows [ 5c, 2d ] high card ace.
Elan808 wins 1924 chips from the main pot with two pairs, aces and threes.

I actually turned out to be better off than I thought /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I knew I was behind but had pot odds. And I refused to let him almost double up without a challenge, even if it could cripple me. What is the right play here?

Mjonasson
11-03-2004, 06:54 AM
No reason do call here as far as I see it. Even though he might double up, you have too weak cards to call. Even if he's trying to steal the pot, your card is really bad. Checking http://rwa.homelinux.net/poker/hand-rankings.html shows your hand is 9th from bottom against a random hand. Even though you have 30% chance of winning, I dont think it was a good call. I'd try to steal my blind back instead next time on the button /images/graemlins/smile.gif But thats just my opinion.

Gramps
11-03-2004, 07:39 AM
This is a bit of a tough one IMO. UTG could be pushing just about any two cards (maybe not a hand like 52o, but he's not probably being very selective - how he's played to this point should give you some information in that regard). If you're not 1 in 3 to win this hand (against random hand you're slightly better), you're probably only slightly worse.

462 to win 1262 - getting close to 3:1 (if you were 27% to win the hand, it'd be about an even pot odds call). Even against any ace/any pair you're 29% and have pot odds to call (all "meta-factors" aside).

If you fold, UTG gets a cheap 600 chips and now has you outchipped 1462 to 1059. Of course, over the next two hands he has to pay 600 in blinds, and you 200 with you acting first before him both times (giving you a better chance at stealing). If the big stack has been acting passively, you'll have a great chance to steal from the SB next hand and re-take the chip lead 1659 to 1062...a passive big stack, plus UTG with tight-calling standards would make folding the correct play IMO (given your future opportunities)...if those factors were present (one example)...

...I think it's very close. Hard to fault one either way on this one. More information on UTG or big stack could tip it to a fold/call, but it's probably still close (IMO).

stripsqueez
11-03-2004, 08:16 AM
i posted a similar hand yesterday where i called with 32o - but i dont like this so much - i guess the major difference is that in my hand there were 4 left

when you fold your left in a marginally better position than the other guy and you are both plenty vulnerable + he wouldnt push with just a random hand from this spot

stripsqueez - chickenhawk