PDA

View Full Version : Whats the right play?

networkman
11-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Was in a SnG yesterday and this hand came up:

There are 4 players left, the winner gets into the party poker million semifinal, 2nd and 3rd get entry in another SnG. I have 1600, chip leader had 3000, the other 2 players had roughly 2000 and 1000.

I'm holding 5 6 Off in the BB which was 200, the chip leader is the SB, he limps and I check.

Flop comes Jc 5c 6s

The chip leader bets 1500. I put him on the flush draw (no [censored], haha) He actually had a straight and a flush draw 7c 4c.

I ended up calling and lost to the flush on the river.

After the hand I looked it up and the odds were exactly 50/50 on the flop.

This hand has been bugging me, I can't figure out if calling or mucking was the right play? If he had a hand like Tc 7c which is the type of hand I put him on, Im nearly 2-1 fav

I would've liked to raise preflop but this guy called my 4x BB raise earlier with a 2 4 off to my A Q he flopped a straight! Thats how he became chip leader, took it off me.

Masquerade
11-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Yes you made the right play. You had every reason to believe you were best with your two pair [you were] and even with the best possible drawing hand imaginable it was still 50-50. In general you'd have to put him on a worse hand than that. You have to call when youve flopped two pair!

ofcrtville
11-03-2004, 05:18 PM
What can you do, right call. I make that call quite often and seem to get burned by the flush on the river ALOT. you think i would have learned. Maybe we should petition the poker industry to take out the river make more of us would be winners.

the_joker
11-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Personally I would raise, but I'm a beginnner /images/graemlins/laugh.gif If he would have had JJ in the hole, wouldn't he have raised pre-flop? The chances of having J5 or J6 would probably be low, even from the small blind. If he was on a normal flush draw (without the straight draw as well) as you thought, you should make him pay for the draw, since you'd be the favorite. Even with the good hand he had, as you said you were still 50/50.

jgorham
11-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the boards sir, wrong forum for the post, blah blah blah.

I raise allin on the flop.

networkman
11-04-2004, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I would raise, but I'm a beginnner /images/graemlins/laugh.gif If he would have had JJ in the hole, wouldn't he have raised pre-flop? The chances of having J5 or J6 would probably be low, even from the small blind. If he was on a normal flush draw (without the straight draw as well) as you thought, you should make him pay for the draw, since you'd be the favorite. Even with the good hand he had, as you said you were still 50/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise?

His bet puts me all in so I call or fold.

networkman
11-04-2004, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the boards sir, wrong forum for the post, blah blah blah.

I raise allin on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm new to this board, I won't let it happen again! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

His bet put me all in, it was call or fold...

Rascal
11-04-2004, 11:20 AM
His bet is a semi bluff. He has cards to draw that will give him the nuts. By callin you give him the odds to make his bet. The only defense aggainst the semi bluff is to lay it down (David Sklansky - Theory of poker). ive been where the other guy was with an open end str8 and flush draw for the turn and river. 15 outs and 55% and lost a few times. But thats poker.
The disiplined play would be top lay it down, but with 2 pair in a tourney id have played it too.