PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mr. Malmuth in Poker Essays

11-23-2001, 11:05 AM
Mr. Malmuth

I just purchased Poker Essays I and read in "The Cost of Poker" about how you should virtually never play a hand unless it has positive expectation. Then you said that you should sometimes to throw your opponents off. An example was from 7CS to reraise an obvious pair of queens when you have a pair of sevens with an A kicker. I had thought from reading 7CSFAP that this was standard play and you should do it every time even if you saw your opponent's hand and he had queens. Is this correct? Or if you KNEW he had queens are you correct to muck? This is still problematic for me. I'd appreciate any help.

Joeflex

11-23-2001, 06:02 PM
Hello,Joeflex,

NEVER play the same way all the time against an above-average player. Sitting Bull

11-23-2001, 09:55 PM
I think it's important to note that in Poker Essays, Mason suggests reraising this hand (quote) "if you were going to play anyway". He's not saying always raise it. He's just saying to reraise on at least some occasions when you would consider calling.

I don't know what 7CSFAP says, but I doubt it says that a reraise is something you should do EVERY time. It would help if you could provide the page number where it says this.

Lin

11-23-2001, 11:02 PM
>>I had thought from reading 7CSFAP that this was standard play and you should do it every time even if you saw your opponent's hand and he had queens>>

This is not correct. If you knew (100% certain) your opponent had Queens you would fold.

11-24-2001, 01:07 AM
Hello, 1-5 stud,

Remember,the advanced stud book is geared for

15-30 and higher limits. In these games ,you have more "dead money" in the pot than you do when you play 1-5. The best book for 1-5 thru 10-20 stud is "7-Card Stud for Low and Medium Limit Poker " Roy West. Sitting Bull

11-25-2001, 08:05 PM
Larry,

Heh..Actually 1-5 stud is my handle and not necessarily the limit I play.

But even at the 15-30 limit I still think this is a clear fold. Even though on paper you may only be a slight underdog , he controls the hand having the higher pair. The pressure will be on you throughout the hand unless you catch. The odds on paper don't take this into account.

Against those guys 'That always got it' I usually fold here when I have nothing in the pot and no other dead money.

11-25-2001, 09:47 PM
Hello,1-5 stud,

Usually, in higher limit games like 15-30 and above,there is enough dead money for you to continue to play==even if you knew for sure that your opponent had Q's===as long as you had a live overcard. This applies until the betting is doubled. In a higher limit game, you should not play too tight on the early streets. You are giving away too much of an edge.********************************************* ************Sitting Bull

11-26-2001, 02:18 PM
If you are going to play you should reraise. Some have suggested that you should not play the same way all the time, which is absolutely correct. But this does not mean you should frequently call with this hand. I would raise this hand, assuming the game conditions are right such as there is a good chance I can get heads up, or the player with the Q is a weak player etc., at least 80% of the time and maybe more. In general with this hand if you are next to act after the Q you should almost always raise and if you cannot raise you should fold. I might call here occasionally just to throw opponents off, or if I had two suited cards, but you should not play this hand generally unless you can raise it.

Pat