PDA

View Full Version : Survival vs Value with KK

zambonius
11-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Home tourney, $20 buy-in, 10 player freezeout, 15k starting chips. Most of these guys have loose starting requirements but play pretty well postflop. There are a couple of short stacks and a couple of big stacks, but most are hovering around the 15k range.

Blinds 400/800, I have ~11k in the SB. EP2, EP3, MP1 all limp, MP2 raises to 1600 all-in, folded to me with KK. MP2 would raise here with any A, any pair, any two paint or maybe even any suited. I considered pushing to get everyone else out of the pot, but figured by just calling, I could squeeze an extra 800 out of the limpers and push almost any flop without an A.

The EPs called, but MP1 reraised 3500 more. I was reading this player pretty well all night and the bet felt like AK or AQ trying to get a showdown with MP2. I reraised 6100 to put myself all-in, the other players folded and MP1 immediately called with AK. The A came on the flop and I finished 9th.

Against these type of players, was this play too tricky? MP2 automatically calls all-ins with AK, so the result probably would have been the same. However, I don't know if I like giving up such an opportunistic chance to pick up more chips by seeing a flop.

Opinions?

lastchance
11-03-2004, 02:10 AM
If they're bad preflop and are good postflop, get it in while you can, IMHO. I would try to squeeze out as much as I could preflop, doing pretty much what you would, or maybe pushing if I felt I could get a call. And if you lose to AK, so be it.

SmileyEH
11-03-2004, 02:11 AM
This is a bad beat post. Ask yourself would you have asked this question if the board had come 98762r?

-SmileyEH