PDA

View Full Version : Good Wines

mmbt0ne
11-03-2004, 01:14 AM
I just had a full bottle of wine for the first time tonight, and it was pretty good, so I'm interested in what kinds of wine other people like. I don't think I'm going to make it a habit to drink wine instead of beer or liquor, but I would like to have some kind of idea what is good. Red and white wine recommendations both appreciated.

For the record, what I drank tonight was some $28 bottle of white wine from Italy, not sure on the brand since I didn't order it.

HDPM
11-03-2004, 01:31 AM
Well, you have to start drinking them and deciding what you like. I much prefer red wine. And there are so many out there it is hard to make any general recommendations. Start reading about them and then trying them while noticing the differences. See if there are any stores in your area that have tastings. If not, start buying and drinking. I like a lot of different stuff, but tend to gravitate towards california cabernets and zinfandels (real zins, not the pink stuff). But I like some pinots. And french or italian reds. And... Well, basically if it is red with alcohol I like it, but some are much better than others. I am pretty much a novice. There is a lot to learn. Just don't get intimidated. Because in the end there are wines for everybody out there and it is just something you drink.

andyfox
11-03-2004, 02:20 AM
Go see the movie Sideways for starters.

PhatTBoll
11-03-2004, 03:02 AM
If you are very interested in getting to know more about wine, I suggest buying Wine for Dummies. Seriously. I took a very highly regarded course on wine in college and that was the textbook. It is very accessible; not pretentious at all.

Here are a couple suggestions for a beginner:

Martin Ray Angeline Pinot Noir ('02): very well balanced and flavorful, dry but smooth. Really a bargain at $10-11.

Any sauvignon blanc from New Zealand: These run about $10-20 in the lower price range. New Zealand makes the best sauvignon blancs in the world and I have yet to taste one that wasn't really really good.

L'Aura Chianti Classico ('02): Lots of cherry and some blackberry flavor. I really recommend this one since it's still a few years away from its prime and at $14 far surpasses most wines that cost twice as much.

Also, any red bordeaux from 2000 is going to be excellent. Even ones that are usually swill are good from that year. 2001 is almost as good but not quite.

If you can be more specific about your personal preferences I can give you better advice, but give the ones I suggested a try and you won't be disappointed. Hope that helps.

stripsqueez
11-03-2004, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any sauvignon blanc from New Zealand: These run about $10-20 in the lower price range. New Zealand makes the best sauvignon blancs in the world and I have yet to taste one that wasn't really really good

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i was going to say - giesen is my favourite

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

mmbt0ne
11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
I really have no idea what I like, but I do know that I just cashed out about $1000 from my winnings, so I'll go out and pick up that book, as well as a couple of your recommendations, and get back to you. Thanks a lot for the help. Anyone else have some favorites they'd like to share?

11-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Some of my favorites:

- Marques de Vitoria Reserva 1995
- Marques de Caceres 1995 Rioja Reserva
- Rosemount 1999 Show Reserve Shiraz

These wines are all around $20 a bottle, but well worth the money.

Enjoy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
11-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Taste, think about what you like, talk to a wine merchant you learn to trust, and taste some more. That's really all there is to it.

vulturesrow
11-03-2004, 01:01 PM
There are a lot of good wines from the Pacific Northwest. Chateau St. Michelle (sp?) has a good spread of wines that are relatively inexpensive and good quality. I really like their Merlot, and also their Riesling. Might be a little harder to get and thus more expensive outside the Pacific Northwest though. Wine for Dummies is good as someone said, I own it and have enjoyed reading it.

PhatTBoll
11-03-2004, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Taste, think about what you like, talk to a wine merchant you learn to trust, and taste some more. That's really all there is to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. Most of the guys who work in wine stores get really bored sitting around the store all day and will be very happy to help you, especially if you know next to nothing about wine.

M2d
11-03-2004, 02:23 PM
I recently drank another good colombia valley merlot-red diamond. I't about the same price range as CSM, and I enjoyed it more (both are pretty good, though).

M2d
11-03-2004, 02:25 PM
based on the price and the origin, I'm guessing you drank Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio. Maybe not if it was a big markup in a restaurant.

nolanfan34
11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of good wines from the Pacific Northwest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tons and tons. Not quite as highly regarded as California wines, but some of the Walla Walla area wines, and Wahluke Slope varietals can't be beat if you like reds. Oregon's Willamette Valley is also a good region to look for Pinot Noir, and others.

Not sure how readily available these are for you in the ATL.

When I started drinking wine a little, I went to a bunch of wineries with friends and learned by tasting. That's the way to go!

Boris
11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
The Charles Shaw you get at Trader Joe's is not a good wine, despite what people may tell you.

The best cheap bottle of wine I've found is the Yellowtail Cabernet (from Austrailia).

TJSWAN
11-03-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Charles Shaw you get at Trader Joe's is not a good wine, despite what people may tell you.

The best cheap bottle of wine I've found is the Yellowtail Cabernet (from Austrailia).

[/ QUOTE ]

B-

You no likey the two buck chuckie ?!!? /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

elwoodblues
11-03-2004, 04:46 PM
The rosemount riesling is very good as well (and cheap)

Boris
11-03-2004, 05:04 PM
lol. No sir. I do not like the two buck chuck.

nolanfan34
11-03-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse, it's three buck chuck in Washington. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My mother-in-law will only use it as cooking wine.

TJSWAN
11-03-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse, it's three buck chuck in Washington. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My mother-in-law will only use it as cooking wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA HA HA,

My Dad has no clue about wine. When I get together with the familia, my brother in-law and I have to put a 2 buck chuck style wine by my Dad because he'll top off his glass with ANYTHING! While my bro in law and I are enjoying some Napa Cab i've spent three years aging etc.....

Dad got a case for last father's day and was thrilled /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Tim

Sadat X
11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
It remains, however, the cheapest possible way to get drunk.

Corey
11-04-2004, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It remains, however, the cheapest possible way to get drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I've been lurking for about four weeks and the first time I head to this part of the forums, I find the first post to respond to.

Chuck Shaw is a good friend of any college student looking to get hammered, but it is by no means the cheapest way to get drunk.

Assuming 1 AU (Alcohol, not astronomical) = 1.5 oz of 80 proof liquor = 12 oz of 5% beer = 5 oz of 12% wine.
Assuming Chuck is 12% to keep math simple (is it higher??), 7.75$ tax (San Diego)

750 ml=25.3606 oz |(25.3606/5)=5.072 AU | $1.99+tax=$2.144 | 42.27 cents per AU
Now, I've once found a 1.75L bottle of 40% vodka for $7.99. The same math yields 21.82 cents per AU.
Assuming you have to pay $10.99 for the bottle not on sale yields 30.02 cents

The point of intersection occurs at $15.48 pre-tax for a 750ml bottle. Of note, if Chuckie were 13.5%, the intersection would be $13.76.

Clearly you'd have to be able stomach the liquor without increasing its marginal cost with mixers/chasers and that's the point where Chuck can become cheaper.

tek
11-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Champagne for me, boys...

As far as cheap shjt, does anybody remember Night Train Express or Blue Nun? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

oljumpstart
11-05-2004, 07:40 PM
1: Almost any 2000 Bordeaux.
2: Almost any 1997 Cabenet.
3: Rancho Zabago "Dancing Bull" Zinfandel(Red)- Quite intense.
4: Bogle vinyards Petite Syrah and Old Vines Zinfandel.
5: Bully Hill "Love my goat red"- Very sweet.
6: GunBun "Bearitage" try for batch 9, but 10 is good also.

These are all reds, some of my favorites. I don't like too many whites. I'll try to think of some more but this should be a good start. Also any Shiraz from Australia(South) will probably be easy to drink and enjoyable.

P.S. Pardon any spelling/grammatical errors. I'm currently enjoying a vintage Jim Beam.