PDA

View Full Version : Hi, i'm ig0r and I have a raising problem...

ig0r
11-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Only started keeping track of my play (and thereby getting serious about it) a few weeks ago in PT. I only have a couple thousand hands logged so far, but my aggression factors are as follows:
Pre-flop: 0.82
Flop: 6.27
Turn: 4.36
River: 2.54
Total: 2.07

Do I not know how to call on the flop? I have a tendency to raise with second pair nice kicker, TPTK, and other marginal hands. I recently realized a lot of these raises were stupid as they were behind a bet and some callers (doubtful they will fold); as a result I will not be protecting much which is the main reason for my raises in these situations. I also like to grab some info with a raise here as well as in situations with a paired board and i have pockets; if I get 3-bet I usually fold or call and fold turn UI. Am I still too aggressive? What do I need to do about it?

Jimbobobb
11-02-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a tendency to raise with second pair nice kicker, TPTK, and other marginal hands

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have identified your own problems. However raising with TPTK is standard.

ig0r
11-02-2004, 09:40 PM
I guess the real question is, are they problems? If board comes K 9 5 rainbow, for example, and I have A9, is a raise acceptable?

I have developed habits like this from NL play at home games where pots average ~$50, a nice raise can go far against some decent players (they're not fish). Just not sure if this belongs in my low limit game

Jimbobobb
11-02-2004, 09:42 PM
That's pretty situation/player dependant. If I was on the button and the CO open raised the flop and I knew he was either an idiot or liked to bet if checked to, sure, I'll raise to try to get it heads up. If the SB bets out on that flop and 4 people call between you, just fold.

Jimbobobb
11-02-2004, 09:49 PM
That's something big you'll have to get away from. Betting in limit poker and especially in the micro limits should mean a lot more than in NL. Pure bluffs really shouldn't even be a consideration at most of your games. Get used to throwing away your marginal hands early. The implied odds aren't there like in NL. As you play the game more you'll get a better feel for what will stand up and what won't, and what you need against certain players. Also read some of the great books put out by the wonderful people at 2+2 - starting with Small Stakes Holdem.

ig0r
11-02-2004, 10:01 PM
I already ordered SSH, I really need help on some of my most elementary plays but have some of the more advanced stuff down pretty well. For example, take the hand I proposed earlier, K95 rainbow - I have A9o (just pretend like I would play it). I'm in CO, and UTG bets, after how many cold callers should I just lay it down or should I even call 1 bet here?

Jimbobobb
11-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Early position bets usually indicate stronger holdings. The great majority of the time I lay down 2nd pair to EP bets.

ig0r
11-02-2004, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early position bets usually indicate stronger holdings. The great majority of the time I lay down 2nd pair to EP bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a bet from MP2? These seemingly simple plays are really pissing me off lately, I never know what to do. My instincts tell me to raise as they will sometimes bet second pair (I would if it was checked to me)...

Jimbobobb
11-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Most of your questions are extremely situation and player dependant. Some things really just can't be learned except from experience. If passive players bet into me, I fold second pair. If maniacs bet into me and I can raise to get it heads up, I raise. There are just too many variables in poker to get a clear cut answer for most general questions like this. Post some hands where you felt lost or unsure of your play. And read a lot of hands posts. It helps.

Jaran
11-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Any kind of decision on your hypothetical hand needs to take into consideration the size of the pot. Larger pots let you take some more marginal hands farther than you would with a smaller pot. Also, you want to play more agressively in a larger pot to increase your chances of winning with those marginal hands.

-Jaran