PDA

View Full Version : The value of one chip: stupid play with interesting outcome

TheDrone
11-02-2004, 08:26 PM
I had a very odd occurence in a 2-table SNG recently. ITM, 5 left, 150/300 blinds. UTG(1500) raises to 600, Hero(1800) with QQ goes all in (or so I thought but I mistakenly left myself 1 chip using the bet slider), loose and lucky SB (~6000) calls, and UTG calls. Flop is Kxx and I promptly get disconnected.

By the time I reconnect I see that SB had bet the flop and forced me to fold while disconnected. UTG lost to SB who had A high, therefore I would have beaten them both to nearly triple up. Now I have to post the BB with my one chip.

Turns out that I "double up" on the next two hands to get a whopping $4 stack, then I am dealt AA. Another guy decides to push and loose SB guy calls. SB guy wins the big pot again but I triple up to $12. With three left I triple up again before busting out in 3rd place after my flopped flush draw misses. At least I moved up a spot, but I would have been in great position for 1st or 2nd had I pushed all in or not had the disconnect.

There's no real point to this post other than to amuse you with my stupidity and my first real "chip and a chair" type of experience. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
11-02-2004, 09:51 PM
why did you call when you had AA?

what better position would you have been in with 12 chips than with only 4?

Phill S
11-03-2004, 08:31 AM
you dont often see a fold the AA hand.

you did and ignored it.

see sponger for why.

Phill

barry111
11-03-2004, 12:04 PM
can someone explain why you wouldnt call with AA and four chips left, itried to look through sponger past posts and do not understand the reason for this.

Sponger15SB
11-03-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain why you wouldnt call with AA and four chips left, itried to look through sponger past posts and do not understand the reason for this.

[/ QUOTE ]]

The blinds are 150/300 and he has 4 chips. He needs to double up so many times to survive the blinds that his tourney is basically over.

He should fold EVERY hand in hopes that somebody would be so stupid as to knock themselves out (which they luckily did) because putting those last 4 chips in the middle only means he has a better chance of being knocked out.

koko2315
11-03-2004, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turns out that I "double up" on the next two hands to get a whopping $4 stack, then I am dealt AA. Another guy decides to push and loose SB guy calls. SB guy wins the big pot again but I triple up to $12.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way this reads is that he went all in as well. The AA tripled him up, but the SB won the bigger side pot.

MrDannimal
11-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Assuming these hands all happened consecutively, he should have been the SB on his AA hand, and was all-in with no option.

He was UTG+1 with QQ/disconnect, then doubled up UTG and BB, and then got AA in the SB.

So while it's true you should fold AA if you have T$4 and the blinds are massive in comparison, the Hero didn't goof here. Just got really lucky.

mason55
11-04-2004, 02:02 PM
No, he double up on his next TWO hands after posting the blind, which would mean big blind AND small blind, meaning he could've (and should have) folded

TheDrone
11-04-2004, 03:06 PM
This is true. The non-blind hands where I put in my remaining chips were certainly misplayed. More than one disconnect had occurred here. /images/graemlins/blush.gif