PDA

View Full Version : Related tipping question....

SomethingClever
11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Here's a scenario for you.

You go to get takeout Thai at a place in your neighborhood. You've never been there before. You place your order with the host or hostess, wait 10 minutes, then pick up your food and pay. On the credit card receipt, there is a line for tip.

Do you always tip in situations like this? If so, how much?

I usually tip a dollar or so (on orders that range from $10 to $20), because I feel bad leaving nothing, but I feel that any more is ridiculous, seeing as how I came to pick up the food myself and I'm not being waited on or served in any way.

Thoughts?

Sponger15SB
11-02-2004, 07:57 PM
I'd say 95% of the time I don't tip.

sublime
11-02-2004, 07:58 PM
if shes hot i tip, and then ask her out
if not i dont

ThaSaltCracka
11-02-2004, 08:03 PM
no tip.

astroglide
11-02-2004, 10:34 PM
i tip a buck on these if they're nice or busy. last night i picked up thai and the girl was in the kitchen doing something so i stood there for a couple minutes. then the phone started ringing so i answered it and took their order and then walked into the kitchen and gave it to her and still tipped her a buck for my order. she was busy.

bicyclekick
11-02-2004, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i tip a buck on these if they're nice or busy. last night i picked up thai and the girl was in the kitchen doing something so i stood there for a couple minutes. then the phone started ringing so i answered it and took their order and then walked into the kitchen and gave it to her and still tipped her a buck for my order. she was busy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lmao, that's really funny.

dr. klopek
11-03-2004, 03:54 AM
They get nothing. With no service, no tip. I had to debit a single cup of coffee the other day and on the receipt there was a line for tip. In case I got away from that, there was a tip jar. If I order something, and you just have to turn around, pick it up, hand it to me, and take my money, you don't deserve a tip. What next? Am I gonna have to tip the Plaid guy for selling me cigarettes?

B Dids
11-03-2004, 12:27 PM
I tend to tip a couple bucks in these situations. Especially if it's some place I'll frequent a lot.

vulturesrow
11-03-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if shes hot i tip, and then ask her out
if not i dont

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct answer, and its not even close. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SomethingClever
11-03-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to tip a couple bucks in these situations. Especially if it's some place I'll frequent a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also tip more (relative to the price of the order) at places I frequent.

At my favorite pizza place, for example, the counter guy always gets at least a buck even on $5 orders.

But I'm kinda tired of tipping when I'm doing all the legwork at these takeout places. Glad to hear that some others feel it's okay to stiff 'em.

Camps14
11-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Being that I have been a server for 4 years, I must defend that side of the counter. Yeah I know that it seems like you are throwing money at every employee that you make eye contact with. But realize that the average wage for servers is rarely over $2.50. A server's paycheck will gas up their car once every two weeks, but their tips is what pays the rent. You cannot depend on your checks if you work in a restraunt. My suggestion....if you get a take out order and they give you the credit card slip with the tip line, say your total is $8.53....tip them $1.47. That way it's a nice round number so you can keep track of your spending (more for debit cards i guess), and you don't stiff the person who got your order together. If you pay cash, leave a dollar. I'm not saying that it is an automatic tip, they still need to show some sort of server ettiquite. Also, if you stiff someone, without a doubt, 100% guarantee they will remember your face. (Kind of like remembering all the bad beats you've taken but never the huge pots you've won) And do you really want to piss of the last person who handles your food...? Just think about it.

Sincere
11-04-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you stiff someone, without a doubt, 100% guarantee they will remember your face.....And do you really want to piss of the last person who handles your food...? Just think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, I was a server for 2 years and I never forgot a face that stiffed, but finally I stopped being a dumbass and got a high paying state job.