PDA

View Full Version : Stud hilo 8/b - rolled 6s

11-14-2001, 01:11 PM
2-4, 50 cent ante, $1 bring-in

Regardless of the outcome, I'm not sure if I played this hand correctly so please critique.

3rd street: (xx)3 brings it in, (xx)A raises to 2, (xx)2 calls, I call (66)6, (xx)K raises to 4, (xx)6 folds, bring-in (xx)3 now reraises to 6, and all call.

Question: Should I have raised at some point on 3rd?

4th street: (xx)K A bets, (xx)3 10 calls, (xx)A Q calls, (xx)2 A calls, I call with (66)6 J - comments?

5th street: I check with (66)6 J J, (xx)K A 5 bets, fold, fold, (xx)2 A 9 calls, I raise, (xx)K A 5 thinks and calls, (xx)2 A 9 calls.

Question: At the time I thought a checkraise was right to charge the low draws the max and to punish other highs - comments?

6th street: (xx)K A 5 K bets, (xx)2 A 9 J calls, I call with (66)6 J J 4. Anyone raise here? The bettor is a good player and his bet here scared me after my checkraise on 5th.

7th: (xx)K A 5 K (x) checks, (xx)2 A 9 J (x) checks, I decide that open Ks doesn't necessarily have Ks full and bet my 6s full. He raises, other opponent folds, and I call.

Questions: Should I have bet after they checked to me? After he checkraises, should I call, fold, or reraise?

I'll post the results below in a bit.

Thanks,

Caddy

11-14-2001, 02:41 PM
In these games, it's best to just bet and raise when you think you have the best hand. There's no sound rationale for your tricky play in a game where nobody ever folds and hardly anybody is trying to figure out what you have. Nor does it make sense to call on 6th because you're afraid of a bigger hand, then raise on 7th after deciding you're not afraid of it at all.

11-14-2001, 02:53 PM
I guess my narrative was unclear - they checked to me on 7th, I bet, and then got checkraised. I agree that my checkraise on 5th is questionable.

11-14-2001, 03:57 PM
No I think maybe I was unclear. I was suggesting that you should be putting in the maximum bets and raises on EVERY round, from third street on. Actually, the check-raise on 5th isn't all that bad, because it achieves your objective of getting money in the pot. But I probably would have bet out just in case it goes all-check if I don't.

In loose stud/8 games, when you have a big high hand with little or no shot at the low side, you need to either get the low hands out or get them to put money in the pot, and you want to do this in the early rounds while they are still drawing to those lows. Don't wait until fifth street when some of them will fold out because they've missed. Don't worry about disguising your hand.

Also, trip sixes isn't all that robust in this game. You don't want to lose to some low backing into a wheel or flush. Play aggressively from the starting gun and give them a choice between folding or paying the max to outdraw you.

11-15-2001, 02:08 PM
well put, lin.

i agree, especially with small trips. much less likely to be put on trips with a low card up.

imagine if you catch a couple more low cards, scare the other lows out, then beat a weaker high to scoop. that's what the game is all about.

full steam ahead unless something truly scary is showing elsewhere.

11-15-2001, 06:21 PM
Result: Lost to KKKAA, but I pretty much agree I should have been more aggressive, especially initially.

Thanks to for the responses.