PDA

View Full Version : Need a desk for a dual monitor setup

mistrpug
11-02-2004, 04:53 PM
I recently bought a friggin gigantic 19 inch CRT monitor that weighs nearly a ton. I hook it up to my laptop and play 6 tables at a time.

The problem is that the desk I use is too small. It's not even a computer desk really. Right now, I have the desk pulled out a foot from the wall, and the external monitor is practically hanging off the corner of it. The laptop is next to it and there's barely enough room left for my arm to sit there and control the mouse. I was wondering what kind of setup people used for their dual monitors that work well. Thanks in advance.

Kopefire
11-02-2004, 05:07 PM
The best desks, in my mind, aren't computer desks.

Go to an antique refinisher, get yourself a nice big, heavy, well-built, full sized executive office desk from the 40's.

The desk tops are huge, plenty of space for my 3 monitors, a lamp, and still room to write on a notepad and keep a book open. It will cost less than anything comparable new, and it will last longer to boot.

astroglide
11-02-2004, 05:09 PM
i absolutely love the wall street desk by systema (beech finish, stainless steel legs). large, nice, no-frills, kidney shaped.

liquidboss
11-02-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that the desk I use is too small. It's not even a computer desk really. Right now, I have the desk pulled out a foot from the wall, and the external monitor is practically hanging off the corner of it. The laptop is next to it and there's barely enough room left for my arm to sit there and control the mouse. I was wondering what kind of setup people used for their dual monitors that work well. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you would post this, I was thinking about posting the same question a few days ago. The desk I'm currenty using is from the mid-60s and was not made to use a mouse and keyboard on.

I have one computer with 2 monitors and another "media" computer with monitor next to me for playing music and the like. I have been looking for a set up that is designed to work with at least two monitors at once but have never found one that would fit the bill. Everything seems to be designed around one monitor or just a flat desk.

Blarg
11-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, most desks made today are very narrow, and you can't put much else on them once you have a monitor there. A lot of them are made more for looks than functionality. The desks made specifically for computers are almost always the worst ones to use a computer at, too.

I agree with the guy saying go get an old desk, if you can find one. The wood will probably be far better; wood in most of today's desks is incredibly cheap -- you can't put anything heavy in the drawers, and if you bang into them while walking one day, you'd better hope nothing breaks. You'll be able to sit anywhere on the desktop without anything cracking or sagging, or the other end of the desk flying up like a see-saw. And you'll have something deep enough to fit a monitor and still leave you plenty of space for a keyboard and pen and paper, etc.

Frankly, I'd rather sit at a fold-out table than most of the desks I see.

Evan
11-02-2004, 07:49 PM
I love the way astro knows the best of any random product. It's quite impressive astro, you're 2+2's local renaissance man.

i'm looking for a good alarm clock, what can you do for me?

astroglide
11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
alarm clocks are something where i totally hate features. i don't want radio, i want loud noises and a clock with one settable alarm and a 9v battery backup. it drives me nuts when i get a hotel room that has a clock/cd/massager with 4 programmable alarms times. my vote is whatever you can get at walgreens or cvs for $10.

Duke
11-02-2004, 08:18 PM
I like the L desks that go in the corner. The kind that have a flat area (not 90 degree angle) in the "middle" of the L. Plenty of room for a couple monitors.

The trick with normal desks is to have them several inches from the wall so the back of a CRT can hang over the back and not waste deskfront real estate. With LCD's you don't need that space for obvious reasons.

~D

Joseph Busti
11-03-2004, 11:39 PM
I have 6 foot folding wooden tables. $40 at Staples or Office Depot.

Sponger15SB
11-04-2004, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 6 foot folding wooden tables. $40 at Staples or Office Depot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word on that. Back at my moms house this is what I used to use.

Now my "desk" looks like something out of a prison. Its just like a big square piece of wood with legs. Totally big enough to fit 2 19" CRTs and then like a ton of beer cans and stuff. I love it.

jasonHoldEm
11-04-2004, 04:34 AM
I have this one from staples with two 19" CRT's on the pedestal and really like it. Plus it's like $40. Staples website is a bit strange, but if you're interested go to staples.com and search for 497066 (the sku number) and you should be able to find it.

http://www.staples.com/images/products/catalog/products/s0045232_std.jpg