PDA

View Full Version : Jamming my OESD

billyjex
11-02-2004, 04:06 PM
How's this hand look? Who raises in EP w/ KTs? Who bluffs the river? I've only been at this table for two orbits, but the one hand I did show over was a set of queens which I bet the whole way.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG posts a blind of $3.
UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, UTG (poster) calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, UTG folds.

River: (9 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

bdk3clash
11-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't raise KTs in EP but would likely call if the game was loose enough.

I would have bet the flop but I check the turn.

I think that betting the river is fine heads-up given how you played the flop and turn. You certainly don't want Ace-high to win when it might have folded to a river bet, and if they're calling down with Ace-high that's an OK way for you to lose.

Bluffoon
11-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I will sometimes raise hands like that upfront if the table isnt too tight or too aggressive. Id like to have a limp in front of me but if there are a lot of cold callers at the table I might give it a try even first in.

Bluffing into two opponents there doesnt look like a great idea to me. You have been betting hard all the way one of them has a callable hand.

private joker
11-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm not crazy about raising KTs from EP. And although you managed to whittle the field down to heads-up on the river, that flop clearly gave at least someone (apparently the button) a piece and you won't be able to bluff them out with king-high. A painted flop like that is bound to hit someone who called a PF raise, so it might be wise to slow down here until you hit the draw. One possible alternative is to check-raise this flop in the hopes it will buy you a free card. But the free card play works a lot better in late position -- another reason this hand is questionable.

Nick C
11-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I would bet the flop but not the turn.

The flop result was good. You got four callers, and you're going to hit your draw about one out of three times.

But the turn card didn't improve your hand, and there's now only one card to come. With four opponents, you're probably going to have to improve to win, and there are only 8 outs you can really feel comfortable about. If you check, there's a good chance it's going to get bet behind you anyway, but betting opens you up to a raise. So that's why I wouldn't do it. I want to see the river card as cheaply as I can.

Betting out will perhaps fold a hand that would've beaten you if you catch a king on the river, so there is that advantage. But I don't think you're folding everyone out, and I don't think you gain enough with the bet to risk a raise. Plus, there's always the possibility the turn will get checked through, which I think would be a good result for you here.

Edit: I guess you only got three callers on the flop, actually. (Where did BB go? Was he all-in?) But I think three callers on the flop is still a good result, and it doesn't change my advice.