PDA

View Full Version : Blind Defense Axs

pittlaw
11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
5/10 Hold'em

Table is rather loose, with a mix of passive and aggressive players. It's folded around to the SB who raises. I've seen the SB play Axo in mp a couple of times, and I've seen him play middle pair aggressively on the flop. However, SB wasn't particularly aggressive pre flop. I had seen him raise, but he usually has a decent hand (but there was usually multi-way action).
Anyways, I have A8s in the BB. Does anyone fold in this spot?

I figured that, barring aces, I was at worse about a 2.5/1 dog by the end (getting 3/1 to call), and there are a lot of hands people would raise in that spot that don't have me dominated. I know a hand like this can be tough to play on the flop if paint shows up though. What do you all usually do in this spot?
I basically want to check my reasoning here.

Comments appreciated

butters
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd defend here with any A, unless SB is so weak as to never raise in this spot without a premium hand.

You've got to defend here enough times so the SB doesn't show an automatic profit by raising you every time. I think HEPFAP advises any A, K, two face cards, pairs and suited connectors (that's just off the top of my head, so it may not be correct.)

MarkD
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you all usually do in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise or call. I would not fold (barring a read that this player was extrememly tight no matter what the pre-flop situation was).

StellarWind
11-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Blind versus blind is a two-person game. Forget all that tight ring game strategy you've read. It doesn't apply here. Any hand with an ace is a great hand. The only question is whether you should reraise. Folding any ace without a truly exceptional read is appalling.

I play nearly 2/3 of all possible BB hands when SB open raises. You cannot do much less or it becomes advantageous for SB to raise any two cards.

Much of the discussion in HEPFAP considers heads-up play where the SB will have position postflop. In a full ring game the BB will have position which means he should play even more hands.

House-Lion
11-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Depending on the "xs" I would call or 3-bet.